Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mailman199

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
New York
I have used Nord VPN for years and am curious with the introduciton of Private Relay is there still value in have a 3rd party VPN installed?

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Apple’s relay hides your IP address but with the relay, you won’t be able to have an IP address outside of your general area. So if you wanted an IP addy from, say, the UK, you can’t do it with relay.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Private Relay also doesn‘t really work for apps (works with WebKit views but not native app traffic) so that‘s another point in favor of classic VPN.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
What's about you want to browse or watch contents that is limited to particular countries? In this case, you run the typical VPN service to get around it. I don't think Private Relay covers that at all.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What's about you want to browse or watch contents that is limited to particular countries? In this case, you run the typical VPN service to get around it. I don't think Private Relay covers that at all.
This new feature is not capable of doing what the VPN does in that regard. Craig F mentioned that in his interview with Gruber, in case you want to watch just the privacy part. Craig gave a good overview.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Does anyone think Apple will eventually introduce private relay system wide? Perhaps in years to come?
Or perhaps there is a reason they avoided doing this? I.e. Pushback from app developers or service providers? Or maybe to encourage people to keep using Safari browser?

If they do introduce it, I suspect it would be tied with a higher tiered iCloud plan.

Last edited:

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Private Relay also doesn‘t really work for apps (works with WebKit views but not native app traffic) so that‘s another point in favor of classic VPN.
Can it work with other apps?

In the WWDC session about iCloud relay, the title & description says that developers can implement the service into their apps. I haven’t watched the video yet but it seems like something developers can add to their apps. Which is weird

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Does anyone think Apple will eventually introduce private relay system wide? Perhaps in years to come?
Or perhaps there is a reason they avoided doing this? I.e. Pushback from app developers or service providers? Or maybe to encourage people to keep using Safari browser?

If they do introduce it, I suspect it would be tied with a higher tiered iCloud plan.
Probably. Just like how the "tracking privacy report" started in Safari for websites last year and now it's expanding to all network traffic across apps.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I'm not sure how Private Relay is routing my data. I've had one site tell me that it's unavailable in Europe and refuse to load. I'm in the US. So it must have been routing my traffic through Europe somewhere. I turned it off so I could get that site to load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.