Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
do you think revisions and updates to the processor will come more often? or, do you think apple will keep them every 4-7 months?

obviously, i know no one knows for sure, but what is the speculation?

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
I think they will keep them every 4-7 monthes. I just don't think apple can afford it, well at least if they were charging the same prices. When they make an update, it not just processor speed. They usually make a lot of changes. That's the stuff that takes time.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I work for a corporate reseller and IBM, HP, Toshiba (etc) all update their boxes the same way Apple does. We never see machines just turn up with faster processors because Intel released one, I'd expect things to remain the same with the Macs.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
oh, i guess i had a misunderstanding of how the PC world went. i thought that dell would just increase the speed of the precessors when they're available.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Most companies hold out to make sure 3 things:
1 - the processor does work
2 - doesn't lose cash because they have a stock of computers with built in processors
3 - make applications they may put out compatible with it - this one seems a little retarded, but if there is an enhanced feature on a processor and the older version of like Dell CPU check (some companies put something like that on so you check out the processors specs) they can make an upgrade for or make sure there will be and upgrade of that software.
--------
Anyone remember the old Pentium 4s? They'd crash PC's because of how the chip was built? Yeah.. I came from the PC world so I know some, but I know more about the Mac World. I'm glad they didn't go to BIOS and used EFI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.