Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Without XDR is the 11" iPP worth it?

• No. Get the 12.9" with XDR

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • No. Get the iPad Air 4th Gen if you want 11"

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Yes. M1, Thunderbolt, 8GB RAM, and 5G are worth it if you like the portability of 11"

Votes: 47 50.5%

• Total voters

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
100% agree.

Never say never, but I'd be really surprised as well. IMO there is nothing to gain from Apple's perspective to up the display specs in the middle of a cycle. They'd rather wait for the next cycle which makes things simpler from them, won't alienate recent buyers as much, and might even be a reason for purchasers of this years model to upgrade to the next gen hone it comes out.
Apple loves to have something for next years ’big thing’. Could just be their marketing strategy too. Getting people to buy more expensive 12.9. Reading some MR comments, it’s working.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I would be surprised if Apple did soon or before cycle refresh. Changing the display is a big deal and would alienate everyone who just purchased.

Yep. iPad Pros are typically on 15+ month cycles so if I needed an iPad asap, I wouldn't wait.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Apple loves to have something for next years ’big thing’. Could just be their marketing strategy too. Getting people to buy more expensive 12.9. Reading some MR comments, it’s working.

Yep, while I doubt it is the main reason (my best guess is that it is just simple supply chain constraints), the fact that it could also get 11in owners to upsize to the 12.9in isn't a bad side effect from their perspective.

And before someone else mentions it, the other side of the argument would be that if you go back into Apple's history, there is always the exemple of the infamous "new iPad" (the first iPad with retina display) which was refreshed after only 9 months. But I think times were different. Back then there was only one iPad model, and this particular generation was a strange compromise trying to tweak the iPad 2 for driving a Retina display as a stopgap while waiting for a more proper chip to become available. This lead to display lag, slightly excessive heat, and stronger than usual battery drain, meaning there was an actual problem for them to fix.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.