Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have a 2009 Olympus Voice Recorder. Recorder still works fine however since upgrading to the latest Mac OS version I am no longer able to play the files on my Mac without buying some special third party conversion software such as Movavi which costs as much as a new voice recorder. I bought a Sony recorder for $50 with 4GB of space which records to a mac friendly format .mp3 natively. Only issue is I have a TON of WMA files on my Mac that I am no longer able to play. Fip4Mac used to work when I had 32-bit capability but no longer on the latest OS. Anyone have any suggestions on how to play my old WMA files?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'd use the free "All2MP3" utility to convert the WMA files to mp3 files.
Then they should be playable by almost anything on the Mac.

What you're going to need:
All2MP3, of course.

But... WARNING WARNING WARNING
DON'T download All2MP3 from the original source, because they "package it" along with crapware that will also install. Why they do this, I don't know.

Again, DO NOT download from here:

DO get a slightly older version of All2MP3 from here:
The above URL will download the app and NO "crapware" along with it.

Also... once you have it, DO NOT choose to "upgrade". It will probably download the installer that has the crapware in it.

Now... having said that, a good version of All2MP3 will do the job easily.

What to do next:
Create a folder on your desktop. This will be where you convert the files.

Copy a WMA file or two into the folder. You want this folder OPEN on the desktop, so you can see the files. Don't make the window too big.

Next, open All2MP3. It will open with a modestly-sized window on your desktop.

Next...
"Grab" one of the WMA files with the mouse, and drag-n-drop it into ALL2MP3's window.

A new dialog opens with some options.
Select the highest quality conversion.
For a destination, use the same folder that the WMA's are in (you can move them wherever you like later on).

Then, click convert (or whatever the button is named, can't remember).

The conversion will take a few moments (or longer, if the files are large).

When done, you should see an mp3 file with the same name in the folder.
Try it, and see how it plays.

Does this do what you need?
If so, convert all of them that way!

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
VLC will play pretty much anything you throw at it. WMA 1/2/3 should play just fine (I don't have any to test) and you can convert them as well. Try that first.

Reactions: jwolf6589

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I believe Music should still allow you to convert them to MP3, but if you can't get them into the Music app that will not work.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The venerable VLC Player and Audacity applications play individual WMA files just fine.

If you want to batch convert a bunch of WMAs, take a look at the freeware XLD utility. I use the latter to convert FLACs to ALACs. XLD can convert to a bunch of other formats.

audacity?I downloaded the latest version and it wont convert Windows Media files.
[automerge]1576540878[/automerge]
I believe Music should still allow you to convert them to MP3, but if you can't get them into the Music app that will not work.

It does not work.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I have a 2009 Olympus Voice Recorder. Recorder still works fine however since upgrading to the latest Mac OS version I am no longer able to play the files on my Mac without buying some special third party conversion software such as Movavi which costs as much as a new voice recorder. I bought a Sony recorder for $50 with 4GB of space which records to a mac friendly format .mp3 natively. Only issue is I have a TON of WMA files on my Mac that I am no longer able to play. Fip4Mac used to work when I had 32-bit capability but no longer on the latest OS. Anyone have any suggestions on how to play my old WMA files?

Unfortunately with Catalina, it breaks a number of 32bit apps that require drivers to play files that aren't standard on the Mac, namely WMA. Apple's recommendation had always been that if you dive into Catalina and have files that can't play on it, your best bet would be to keep an old mac for that purpose (which I do including a PowerMac G5 now for those even older unsupported audio files) or buy another 64bit application (which you know already exist) and swallow the cost. A number of apps people advice here are for 32bit capability, not 64bit which is why you are having some difficulty converting. Or else, set up a dual boot drive and install a 32bit friendly OS like High Sierra, if your Mac supports it, and convert those WMA files to MP3.

Reactions: jwolf6589

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
This is why I am always late to update the OS. Use a DAW. Garageband is free and comes with every mac. You can just drag the files in. The plus is that you can edit them too.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I tried the older version from Tucows but it gives a warning that it is not fully compatible with WMA files. When I press Convert the resulting MP3 files are tiny, 15-20kB for a 5MB+ song.

I'd use the free "All2MP3" utility to convert the WMA files to mp3 files.
Then they should be playable by almost anything on the Mac.

What you're going to need:
All2MP3, of course.

But... WARNING WARNING WARNING
DON'T download All2MP3 from the original source, because they "package it" along with crapware that will also install. Why they do this, I don't know.

Again, DO NOT download from here:

DO get a slightly older version of All2MP3 from here:
The above URL will download the app and NO "crapware" along with it.

Also... once you have it, DO NOT choose to "upgrade". It will probably download the installer that has the crapware in it.

Now... having said that, a good version of All2MP3 will do the job easily.

What to do next:
Create a folder on your desktop. This will be where you convert the files.

Copy a WMA file or two into the folder. You want this folder OPEN on the desktop, so you can see the files. Don't make the window too big.

Next, open All2MP3. It will open with a modestly-sized window on your desktop.

Next...
"Grab" one of the WMA files with the mouse, and drag-n-drop it into ALL2MP3's window.

A new dialog opens with some options.
Select the highest quality conversion.
For a destination, use the same folder that the WMA's are in (you can move them wherever you like later on).

Then, click convert (or whatever the button is named, can't remember).

The conversion will take a few moments (or longer, if the files are large).

When done, you should see an mp3 file with the same name in the folder.
Try it, and see how it plays.

Does this do what you need?
If so, convert all of them that way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.