Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isaacc7

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2004
Why are there so few players supporting aac? It seems as though all players that aren't ipods support WMA, but I don't know of any that support AAC. I was excited because our store started carrying the Lexar music players, but no AAC support, so I'm not buying one...

Isaac

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
isaacc7 said:
Why are there so few players supporting aac? It seems as though all players that aren't ipods support WMA, but I don't know of any that support AAC. I was excited because our store started carrying the Lexar music players, but no AAC support, so I'm not buying one...

Isaac
There's at least one (I Googled it):

http://www.nokianokia.com/NokiaMP.html

Not much capacity, though. I imagine there are more.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
What about other formats

There is a lot of discussion about WMA but what about Ogg Vorbis. I think that if we are going to ask for support for one format we may as well cover them all. BTW, there was a comment about raising the bit rate.. This is not always the best answer. I have found variable bit rate to be best yet.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
watcher2001 said:
There is a lot of discussion about WMA but what about Ogg Vorbis. I think that if we are going to ask for support for one format we may as well cover them all. BTW, there was a comment about raising the bit rate.. This is not always the best answer. I have found variable bit rate to be best yet.
AAC doesn't support VBR the same way MP3 does.

While we're at it, why not add some other codecs too?
FLAC
Monkeys Audio
"The Module Zoo" (669, AMS, AMF, DSM, FAR, GDM, IMF, MOD, MDL, MTM, MXM, OKT, PLM, PSM, PTM, S3M, STM, UNI, XM, etc.)
etc.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
watcher2001 said:

Ogg Vorbis and WMA support-in-iPod requests = red flag for trolling.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
Rod Rod said:
Ogg Vorbis and WMA support-in-iPod requests = red flag for trolling.

Would one care to explain exactly WTF you would call me a troll? I will admit that I am new to the forum but I am far from a troll. If you did not note the sarcasm in first post then you may need to skip the boards for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.