Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Did any of you get the notification that Diablo Immortal was ready for you to play. I received it this morning and have already logged in and started playing. Guess Blizzard released it a day early!!!

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I got an email from the App Store, checked my iPad and it was downloading. The entire game size is around 13GB so be warned. My 2021 iPad Pro 11” M1 is running the game maxed out at 60FPS, runs fantastic and the sound is great too. Goo game, just like Diablo on PC in its layout, just with touch controls. I have yet to see the in app purchases but as I understand it’s full of them. Still it’s addictive and I like it. Very smooth on my iPad.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Lets make a list for how ios devices work on what settings
From my understanding
-ipad pro 10.5" goes on Ultra settings but caps at 30 fps (no 60 fps allowed)
-iphone 11 pro series High settings with 60fps
-ipad pro M1 goes Ultra settings with 60 fps
-iphone 13 pro Ultra settings with 60 fps

Its a shame they dont allowed for ipad pro with M1 120fps...maybe the next gen with M2?!
I hope they didnt unock this setting just for PC

Reactions: philipmv

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I wonder how playing such a game on the iPad compares with the old time method of using a mouse and keyboard. I have a hard time envisioning it.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I wonder how playing such a game on the iPad compares with the old time method of using a mouse and keyboard. I have a hard time envisioning it.
probably you didnt tried it still..
its about the game system..its more , how to put it....more intuitive, i mean for example when there is a monster on your screen, you almost cant miss, if you face toward the enemy you easy hit him, you just have to place the character the right direction and press on spells, hey some times, i move backwards and still hit, but again this is only if you are having one direction enemy...when there are enemies 360 around you, you chose what to hit first
For a mobile its very easy, i mean i almost never wanted to try to play Diablo on phone because i hate gaming on touch and how hard it is for people like me and probably you that are used with key and mouse for AAA games...but blizzard did it.. so expect this game to be "a lot easier" than the other Diablo from this point of view

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
probably you didnt tried it still..
its about the game system..its more , how to put it....more intuitive, i mean for example when there is a monster on your screen, you almost cant miss, if you face toward the enemy you easy hit him, you just have to place the character the right direction and press on spells, hey some times, i move backwards and still hit, but again this is only if you are having one direction enemy...when there are enemies 360 around you, you chose what to hit first
For a mobile its very easy, i mean i almost never wanted to try to play Diablo on phone because i hate gaming on touch and how hard it is for people like me and probably you that are used with key and mouse for AAA games...but blizzard did it.. so expect this game to be "a lot easier" than the other Diablo from this point of view
Interesting. So it sounds like the made it a lot easier to compensate for the lack of precision that results from not using a mouse. This makes sense. Thanks.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
So, gave it a go on my 13 Mini. Ran great, albeit quite a few dialogs with missing text. And the text itself was really small, and I had a VERY hard time seeing what was going on. Small display, dark colors, brown/grey/black color palette, and daylight - Not a useable combo. I won't play it on my iPhone that is for sure.

Then tried on my iPad Air 4 for half an hour. Ran great, with all settings to ultra and 60 FPS. Game looks and plays exactly like Diablo III, so if you like that, then you'll like this one. Plays more or less the same, but with more pew-pew skills from the start. A bit hard to micromanage of course, and I really don't get why they absolutely have to have the controls on the bottom of the iPad. Don't they know how heavy that thing is? Do miss a bigger display though. And I think this would be much better with a controller, but I only have the Nintendo Pro Controller, and that can't be paired AFAIK.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Interesting. So it sounds like the made it a lot easier to compensate for the lack of precision that results from not using a mouse. This makes sense. Thanks.
exactly..but i didnt tried on PC to see how this system goes when you are on keys and mouse

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
So, gave it a go on my 13 Mini. Ran great, albeit quite a few dialogs with missing text. And the text itself was really small, and I had a VERY hard time seeing what was going on. Small display, dark colors, brown/grey/black color palette, and daylight - Not a useable combo. I won't play it on my iPhone that is for sure.

Then tried on my iPad Air 4 for half an hour. Ran great, with all settings to ultra and 60 FPS. Game looks and plays exactly like Diablo III, so if you like that, then you'll like this one. Plays more or less the same, but with more pew-pew skills from the start. A bit hard to micromanage of course, and I really don't get why they absolutely have to have the controls on the bottom of the iPad. Don't they know how heavy that thing is? Do miss a bigger display though. And I think this would be much better with a controller, but I only have the Nintendo Pro Controller, and that can't be paired AFAIK.
the text can be larger or smaller - settings
Also the dialog box you can drag up or down...that is useful when you are talking with players also
Also you can check the auto-pick all items in settings when you move up on them

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
It says 3.5gb on the App Store.....?

Yeap that's the initial download, when you open the game up after it greats you with a message to download a further 9GB of data.

EDIT I see someone else beat me to it telling you that lol.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

Pretty much my experience in the gameplay. But you have a lot of adjustment for the graphics, colour pallet and text size etc. one to play around with till you get it right.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
13.5 GB! If I were interested in this, I'd be more concerned about my 64 GB iPad. However, despite some of these "curve balls" (Apple Arcade and this), I still hold firm that I'll be OK since I won't be doing that much gaming anyways. (plus, I can delete Garage Band to free up like, 3 GB or something)

There was a time when I was interested in playing Diablo 3 for console. I asked several people in person and online, and they all say it works surprisingly well. Some spells/abilities that would have you click on a spot may be "gimped", but it's not a big deal. Comments were pertaining to Play Station 4 and Switch.

Granted, this is for touch controls, but Blizzard says they're designing the game for that in mind. Early mini-reviews are saying this works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.