Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebsongs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Hey guys and gals!

I'm new to the forum, been reading for a long time though.

I'm about to purchase the new middle ground i7 mini and I'm planning to swap the hdd with a Samsung 830 256Gb SSD. Been reading up on it and it seems it would fit my needs and way of working just fine.

My question is one that I haven't been able to answer by googling or searching forums:

When buying a new mac mini you would get Mountain Lion pre-installed, and that's all fine. I read that a lot of you clone the original disk to the SSD. I would like to do a fresh install, and the question is: do I have to buy a new copy of ML to make a bootable USB installer, or will it be available for me to download again from Appstore? I haven't "purchased" ML when I buy a new mac, but I still own the license. How would this work?

Can anyone check the Appstore "purchased"-tab on your new mac with ML and see if it is there for download?

Thanks!

Sebastian

Last edited:

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Install the new drive and hold Command + R at boot and you'll go into recovery mode. This will allow you to d/l a fresh copy of ML directly from Apple onto your new SSD.

:apple:

sebsongs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Install the new drive and hold Command + R at boot and you'll go into recovery mode. This will allow you to d/l a fresh copy of ML directly from Apple onto your new SSD.

:apple:

Oh, that easy? Cool!
I'm not used to not having optical drive, never installed an OS like that.
But that seems perfectly easy.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.