Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Here is an issue that started with 10.9.3. My Mac Pro 5,1 in the sig. never shuts down on the 1st try. It restarts instead, just as if I had selected restart. It does this 2-4 times before the command takes hold and actually shuts down fully to power off.

I tried ejecting/unplugging all external drives/devices but it makes no difference. It's pretty annoying when I'm remotely connected and need to power off.

Any suggestions? Anyone else with this problem?

Last edited:

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
I have a MacPro 4.1 with 10.93 and it shuts down fine, never once restarting. Sometimes Mail is doing something and delays or cancels shutdown, so I use force quit if I'm in a rush. I'm had apps before refuse to quit and a permissions rebuild and restart fixed it.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have a MacPro 4.1 with 10.93 and it shuts down fine, never once restarting. Sometimes Mail is doing something and delays or cancels shutdown, so I use force quit if I'm in a rush. I'm had apps before refuse to quit and a permissions rebuild and restart fixed it.

Thanks, that's not the issue either. I've forced everything closed, nothing disconnected. I mean, it even does it right after it just reboot itself 3 times in a row, so there is no mail or anything else running.

I've tried NVRAM & SMC reset several times to no avail. Running any other version of OS X and the problem goes away. It must be something about my particular configuration that 10.9.3 doesn't like.

I've not tried a clean install of 10.9.3 or removing memory/internal drives. Short of that I can't think of anything else to make 10.9.3 happy. It's a major annoyance but I guess I can deal with it for now.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Here is an issue that started with 10.9.3. My Mac Pro 5,1 in the sig. never shuts down on the 1st try.

I manage about 80 Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 and periodically over the years, starting with 10.6.x (which is what they ran when they were first installed), one or two of them will reboot instead of shutting down. I've never found a fix but also haven't worried about it much. I would set it up to boot in verbose mode and watch what's on the screen and in the log when it shuts down or when it doesn't.
In case you're unfamiliar, you can boot temporarily into verbose mode by holding command-V as the computer starts up, or set it persistently by entering the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
and then enter your administrator password when prompted.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I manage about 80 Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 and periodically over the years, starting with 10.6.x (which is what they ran when they were first installed), one or two of them will reboot instead of shutting down. I've never found a fix but also haven't worried about it much. I would set it up to boot in verbose mode and watch what's on the screen and in the log when it shuts down or when it doesn't.
In case you're unfamiliar, you can boot temporarily into verbose mode by holding command-V as the computer starts up, or set it persistently by entering the following in Terminal:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
and then enter your administrator password when prompted.

Okay, thanks. I've had the problem in the past on various Linux systems too that never go resolved. This problem only recently started on my MP since upgrading to 10.9.3, which may or may not be the reason. I hate it when a perfectly running system starts acting up.

If i can't figure it out soon, I'm going to start pulling cards/memory (along with my hair). I really want to track this down.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If i can't figure it out soon, I'm going to start pulling cards/memory. I really want to track this down.

I'd definitely investigate the cards and any external peripherals. My systems don't have any cards in them aside from the graphics card.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Have this issue twice in my 4,1 (Flashed 5,1). At least once is with 10.9.3, can't remember how about the other one (most likely with 10.9.3 as well).

Apart from the graphic card, the only PCIe card in there is the Tempo SSD.

And I have absolutely no idea what is related to this problem.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Have this issue twice in my 4,1 (Flashed 5,1). At least once is with 10.9.3, can't remember how about the other one (most likely with 10.9.3 as well).

Apart from the graphic card, the only PCIe card in there is the Tempo SSD.

And I have absolutely no idea what is related to this problem.

I too have an SSD on a PCIe card, but the issue didn't start until 10.9.3. It could just be that I was lucky and it hadn't made the rounds yet. Strangely however, I've rebooted like crazy today after heavy use of every peripheral I have and all worked well. No restarts.

I decided to clean out all my system caches and not only has the rebooting failed to reappear, but shutdown times are down from 20 sec to 8 sec. I'll have to see if this newfound good behavior holds over the next few days.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Marking this thread as resolved.

I didn't really fix the issue, but I know the cause. Screen sharing using the screens app...

If I don't connect with my other devices (to access the Mac Pro) the system will shut down normally. If I've been accessing the system through Screens, it won't shut down on first try.

I need screens so I'll just have to live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.