Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thr61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I have a brand new MBA with the 128 SSD and am running Snow Leopard. I also have a 23" cinema display.

My usual approach is to connect the MBA to my external keyboard and the display and then turn it on. It boots just fine and I end up with dual display (cinema and MBA). I then close the lid and the machine goes to sleep. Clicking on the mouse or keyboard NEVER wakes it up. Unplugging and replugging the USB keyboard sometimes wakes it, but not often. Doing the same with the monitor makes it turn off and on and off an on.

My goal is to boot the machine, close the lid, and use the external display only, but it just won't do it without a lot of guesswork and fuss. I have searched this forum and the help forum and not seen this identical problem. Am I missing a setting or doing something wrong here?

Thanks for the help.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i have had these problems too with my MacBook.

try turning the power on and immediately closing the lid. it's what i do. definitely a bit buggy and waiting for 10.6.1 to fix this issue.

i noticed when i leave a flash drive plugged in it won't wake up no matter what i do unless i remove it.

not sure if it has to do with power consumption (aka is it the flash drives fault or the computers).

oh well. it is very weird though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.