Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
I am thrilled about my new-to-me Quicksilver 2002 I got for a song! Brand new in the box even--nary a scratch and all items in it were still wrapped and sealed! It was never even opened!

Now to figure a way to get it to connect to my LG IPS Ultrawide 34" monitor using a DVI to HDMI adapter.. . . . .

Dual 1.0 Ghz G4
1.5 GB RAM
TI4600 128mb (added this myself)
Two 500GB IDE WD Blue (added myself, replacing the Seagate it came with).
BluRay DVD-RW/DL drive (again, added this myself)
Sonnet IDE SATA card and a 1TB Samsung 840 (again, my additions)
OS 9.2.2 on one of the WD Blue drives, 10.5.8 on the Samsung.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Would OS 9 and a computer that old even work properly with an ultrawide? I'd assume it's a 4k display. You'll probably have to crank the resolution down for it to perform well. I'm not an expert on these because I don't use PPC Macs with modern displays, and I've never owned an ultra wide.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Would OS 9 and a computer that old even work properly with an ultrawide? I'd assume it's a 4k display. You'll probably have to crank the resolution down for it to perform well. I'm not an expert on these because I don't use PPC Macs with modern displays, and I've never owned an ultra wide.

One can try an old version of SwitchResX to force unsupported resolutions in Mac OS 9.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It depends on what card you use I suppose.

When I had my QS up and running I was using an NVIDIA GeForce 68000 GT. That card can drive dual displays at 2048x1536 - although I never used it in OS9.

PS. Only works in the Quicksilver.
[automerge]1577980694[/automerge]
I am thrilled about my new-to-me Quicksilver 2002 I got for a song! Brand new in the box even--nary a scratch and all items in it were still wrapped and sealed! It was never even opened!

Now to figure a way to get it to connect to my LG IPS Ultrawide 34" monitor using a DVI to HDMI adapter.. . . . .

Dual 1.0 Ghz G4
1.5 GB RAM
TI4600 128mb (added this myself)
Two 500GB IDE WD Blue (added myself, replacing the Seagate it came with).
BluRay DVD-RW/DL drive (again, added this myself)
Sonnet IDE SATA card and a 1TB Samsung 840 (again, my additions)
OS 9.2.2 on one of the WD Blue drives, 10.5.8 on the Samsung.
Congrats, the Quicksilvers are one of my favorite Macs.

Reactions: torvan

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That GF4 only has single-link DVI, meaning that monitor's native resolution is totally out of the question at 60 Hz, no matter if it's 2560×1080, 3440×1440 or 5120×2160. On top of that, all DVI-to-HDMI adapters are single-link, so even if the card was dual-link, that would be lost.

You have three options:

1. Run the monitor at 1920×1080 to get 60 Hz.

2. Use SwitchResX or its equivalent for OS 9 to create a custom mode at the monitor's native resolution and lower the refresh rate enough to stay below the pixel-clock limit of single-link DVI (165 MHz). At 2560×1080, that would allow 54 Hz. However, your monitor needs to accept that non-standard mode.

3. Upgrade to a graphics card that has dual-link DVI and convert that to DisplayPort using an Atlona DP-400 converter (that's the only one that will do!). None of the dual-link cards have OS 9 drivers though.
[automerge]1577981120[/automerge]
One can try an old version of SwitchResX to force unsupported resolutions in Mac OS 9.
There's no SRX for OS 9. You need SwitchRes2 instead.
[automerge]1577981482[/automerge]
When I had my QS up and running I was using an NVIDIA GeForce 68000 GT. That card can drive dual displays at 2048x1536 - although I never used it in OS9.

If that was the "official" version sold by Apple, it should have had two dual-link DVIs (like the 6800 Ultra). Using the Atlona DP-400 to convert that to DisplayPort, 3440×1440 may be possible at 60 Hz if the adapter can deal with a 319 MHz pixel clock. I've not personally checked if it can. And there's no OS 9 drivers for that card either.
[automerge]1577981765[/automerge]
Would OS 9 and a computer that old even work properly with an ultrawide?

I've had my 800 MHz TiBook doing 3840×2400 at 13 Hz in OS 9 :) That is the real deal.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If that was the "official" version sold by Apple, it should have had two dual-link DVIs (like the 6800 Ultra). Using the Atlona DP-400 to convert that to DisplayPort, 3440×1440 may be possible at 60 Hz if the adapter can deal with a 319 MHz pixel clock. I've not personally checked if it can. And there's no OS 9 drivers for that card either.
I highly doubt Apple had anything to do with this card. My understanding is that this was flashed from a PC card at some point. It was not usable in the former user's Mac and so was shipped to me in exchange for another graphic card I had. It's got NVIDIA's branding all over it so it was originally sold commercially.

I'd have to dig somewhat deeper for the full specs.

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
It is the official TI 4600 from Apple--one DVI (single link I assume) and one ADC. It was never a PC card, just the Apple one.

I have an Amazon Basics DVI to HDMI, but it was a bust. The monitor will downscale itself--it does that with an old Windows 98 machine. Right now it is on an Apple Aluminum 23" LCD, going to see if it will run on my 30 inch aluminum LCD (just to see, not really much of a troubleshooting test I know). I will attempt the cable again and SwitchRes after I get home.

As a reference point, the monitor is an LG 34UM88C-P and while the default resolution is 3440x1440 at 60 Hz, it can scale itself and there is no option to change the resolution on the monitor itself-it is dependent on the resolution set by an OS. Specs are at https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/222b645 and at https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM88C-P-ultrawide-monitor

Something fun to play with in 2020!
[automerge]1577994104[/automerge]

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
It is the official TI 4600 from Apple--one DVI (single link I assume) and one ADC. It was never a PC card, just the Apple one.

Right. Dual-link only came with the 6800.

going to see if it will run on my 30 inch aluminum LCD

The 30" ACD will only run at 1280×800 via a single-link connection.

I had a quick look at your monitor's manual. The minimum refresh rate is listed as 56 Hz, so feeding it a 3440×1440@30Hz signal (which would just about fit within single-link's bandwidth) may well not work. It supports displaying two inputs side-by-side (Picture-By-Picture), so the following might work: Connect the screen to both the Ti4600's outputs: the first one using a straight DVI-to-HDMI adapter, the second one using an active DVI-to-DisplayPort converter (it must be an active converter, and the DP-to-DVI ones you'll find for a dime a dozen won't work) and set both outputs to a custom 1720×1440@59Hz resolution. Tell the screen to display both signals side-by-side. Bingo, you got full resolution at a decent refresh rate :)

Reactions: torvan

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
Right. Dual-link only came with the 6800.

The 30" ACD will only run at 1280×800 via a single-link connection.

I had a quick look at your monitor's manual. The minimum refresh rate is listed as 56 Hz, so feeding it a 3440×1440@30Hz signal (which would just about fit within single-link's bandwidth) may well not work. It supports displaying two inputs side-by-side (Picture-By-Picture), so the following might work: Connect the screen to both the Ti4600's outputs: the first one using a straight DVI-to-HDMI adapter, the second one using an active DVI-to-DisplayPort converter (it must be an active converter, and the DP-to-DVI ones you'll find for a dime a dozen won't work) and set both outputs to a custom 1720×1440@59Hz resolution. Tell the screen to display both signals side-by-side. Bingo, you got full resolution at a decent refresh rate :)

Thank you for the ideas! Unfortunately, I do not have dual DVI. The TI4600I has 1 DVI port--the other is ADC (which I know is DVI, just an Apple's proprietary one). In addition, the DP is already in use with another machine (hackintosh). I have two Apple ADC to DVI adapters, but making use of one would create too many cords under the desk and with five machines, a router, and two printers there is enough cords under there as it is.

So I decided to just give up on getting it on the LG and instead just put the 23" on my desk for the Quicksilver machine, squeezing it on there and adding a single cord under the desk. Plus the PnP of the monitor is not great visually at all-usable yes but their implementation just takes everything and pushes it side by side into two squares, so you have to set the resolutions to off numbers to resolve things like squished menus and scrunched icons. Think of a loaf of bread you squeezed together (edible sure, but off looking sandwiches!)

The poor 23" looks kinda small next to the LG (hackintosh, Dell Optiplex 78-, the Apple 30" (Mac Pro 2010), and the 27" iMac. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.