Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alohadaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
I am running High Sierra on a Late 2011 MacBook Pro. I have Mountain Lion on an external drive with Microsoft Office 2008 installed. Office works normally on Mountain Lion but won't install on High Sierra, probably because it is a 32 bit app. However when I plug in the Mountain Lion external disk, 2008 for Mac Office seems to run just fine under High Sierra. I did not have much luck migrating Word from the Mountain Lion hard drive to the High Sierra disk but Excel seems to have migrated OK. Would be interested in any experiences others have.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
probably the installer is 32-bit even though the apps themselves are 64-bit? You should just be able to copy them over individually along with their application support dir.

alohadaley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2023
probably the installer is 32-bit even though the apps themselves are 64-bit? You should just be able to copy them over individually along with their application support dir.
That didn’t work for me - using the Migration app got me a good excel app but the Word App didn’t work. I don’t know if Word 2008 is 32 or 64 bit. Most of the info on the web I have seen says Office 2008 for Mac won’t run on High Sierra. I find that not to be true but it does take some finagling to get Word to work. What I said in my first post seems to be working ok for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.