Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayley89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2016
My Word, my screenwriting software final draft (and now my gmail) have all been omitting/changing words. I am a writer and editor. It's not uncommon for me to write several thousand words a day. That said, I tend to correct mistakes as I go and have a good memory of what I have put down. Just after Thanksgiving, I noticed that my Word was sporadically omitting prepositions in my work. An odd 'the,' 'of,' or 'and' would be gone and while it was odd I didn't think too much of it. As the holidays went by and we got deeper into January the problem escalated.

Now when I go back and reread my work it's not uncommon to find the subject of a sentence missing. In Final draft I'll go back and dialogue of different characters will be jumbled together. In mid January I needed to change a simple phrase in a document and it kept persistently changing back even after I turned it into a PDF. And a few days go I watched as Word actually autocorrected a term I'd just penned. I've been using Word many years obviously... I didn't know it did that. Earlier this week, I sent an important email and discovered that after I sent it, the computer removed the .com in the address....

Understand that I write and edit for my work. While I'm not impervious to making mistakes, I'm very certain that these errors aren't mine. I'm talking about knowing for sure that I wrote things a certain way and saved them and then I return to find them a jumbled mess. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this kind of thing? The only thing I can think of is maybe that the logic board is going? Other than that the computer seems fine, it's fully updated but much slower than usual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.