Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im looking for WordPress tutorials that apart from teaching the app, they also show how to install it on a mac natively in the computer, without having to install to a web server etc. Im not certain but i think the later can be done with the use of MAMP?

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
WordPress will not run without a webserver, PHP, and a database server (MySQL or MariaDB).

The simplest approach is to install a LAMP stack like MAMP, which includes everything you need. I found that XAMPP (which I prefer) runs into some issues later on in WP, so I tend to avoid it nowadays).

1) install MAMP.
2) Download the latest WP.
3) navigate to the htdocs folder in MAMP.
4) copy the WP extracted folder into htdocs. Ensure the WP files are copied to a subfolder, such as "mysite".
Also ensure to copy all the hidden files. Hold down the Command, Shift and Period keys: cmd + shift + [.] before copying the files into your mysite folder.
5) open the MAMP start page, and open PHPMyAdmin (via Tools menu)
6) create a new database. No spaces in the name.
7) return to the home page of PHPMyAdmin and create a new user. Grant this user read and write rights, but no admin rights. Write down the user name and password that you came up with. For testing and development purposes I always use something simple like "wpuser" / test
The site may later be uploaded to a remote online server with one of the standard backup/migration tools.
8) Now navigate with your browser to localhost:8888/mysite
9) install WordPress. Use the database information in the first screen to connect to the database. Address should be localhost, and use the name and password you created earlier.
10) set up a wp login name and password. These are of course different than the ones used to connect to the database. You will use these to set up an admin account within WordPress.
11) finish the installation - name of the site, etc. These can all be changed later in the WP settings.
12) now login, and you will be presented with the WP backend.

For more details, check out one of the gazillions tutorials online:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.