Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Any word or phrase that gets taken over by political causes and their devotees.

As soon as I hear the rants start I tune out, end the discussion or go somewhere else.

Reactions: rm5

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Down here in Georgia (not the Eurasian version), when agreeing with what another has said, many (predominately males) have a tendency to reply:

"Thass right." in the most buttery manner possible.

Makes the hairs on my neck bristle, every time....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Down here in Georgia (not the Eurasian version), when agreeing with what another has said, many (predominately males) have a tendency to reply:

"Thass right." in the most buttery manner possible.

Makes the hairs on my neck bristle, every time....
Why you be messing wiff me?

• Haha
Reactions: Chuckeee

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
The term "skill set" annoys me. In the last couple of years its use has become more and more common. A plural "skill sets" has been creeping in too. What's wrong with just "skills"?
When Webster published his original dictionary he deliberately simplified the spelling of words. eg, color for color, center for centre. His attempt to simplify had a profound effect on American English. Wikipedia has an interesting article on the history of the simplification of spelling. The article notes that it goes back a long way, with attempts in England as far back as the 15-1600s. So why is there a seemingly opposite trend to make simple terms less so? I don't want to be one who argues that language should stay static. The reality is that it changes over time. Never-the-less, "skill sets" has got to go!

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
The term "skill set" annoys me. In the last couple of years its use has become more and more common. A plural "skill sets" has been creeping in too. What's wrong with just "skills"?
When Webster published his original dictionary he deliberately simplified the spelling of words. eg, color for color, center for centre. His attempt to simplify had a profound effect on American English. Wikipedia has an interesting article on the history of the simplification of spelling. The article notes that it goes back a long way, with attempts in England as far back as the 15-1600s. So why is there a seemingly opposite trend to make simple terms less so? I don't want to be one who argues that language should stay static. The reality is that it changes over time. Never-the-less, "skill sets" has got to go!

Especially when 'skill' is not separated from 'set' with a hyphen ;)

Reactions: ThrowerGB

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just saw "Manage your spend." Why is "spending" cut short the way that "failure" becomes "fail"?

If you can't afford to pay attention, you're just too poor.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Is "I have to do [something] yet" correct? As in, "I have yet to do something." I've been seeing an increasing number of people using it, and I'm not sure. It just sounds (and looks) very weird to me...

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Is "I have to do [something] yet" correct? As in, "I have yet to do something." I've been seeing an increasing number of people using it, and I'm not sure. It just sounds (and looks) very weird to me...

I believe yet at the end of the sentence, like in questions or negative sentences, has a different meaning:
”Are you finished yet?”
“I’m not finished yet.”

That’s is a different yet from this one:
”I have yet to finish.”

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
They're okay, but "I still need to handle something." or "I still need to finish something." if I already started it, would be how I say that.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
True, which is why I tend to enjoy memes from animal doing what they do naturally or "inside jokes" from shows or books and some clever political memes (here many though are dumb or vicious).
Well, personally, I would prefer that you (one) give (gives) me a good (and witty, and clever) cartoon instead.

At least, that is original, can claim originality, (and sometimes, is also very sharp, witty, apt and funny).

However, on these very threads, (and elsewhere), - and this occurred especially, (unfortunately) in the old days when PRSI still existed, - I have noticed that memes tended to be used casually, lazily and as a glib substitute for thought, or argument, or debate, masquerading under the mask of supposed "wit".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.