Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carcarano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Hello! My dad has an iPhone 7, and I have a 5s. My name is Carlo, And my dad's name is Craig. When he sends an email using his work email, it comes up as "Craig And Carlo". We only have our YouTube channel Craig And Carlo's Product Reviews. He could use his personal email, but he doesn't want to. For now, he's been using an archived email address. Does anybody in the forum know what might be happening, why, and how to make go back to just "Craig xxxxxxx"?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Sorry, I don’t specifically understand, are you saying the name on the email comes up as Craig and Carlo?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sorry, I don’t specifically understand, are you saying the name on the email comes up as Craig and Carlo?
Yea, that is what it sounds like. When Carlos receives the email, it shows as Craig and Carlos (which makes him think it is YouTube related, instead of just from his dad’s work email).

If this is with the stock mail app, you can try changing the name on that one account (like you did when you first set it up). That may solve the problem.

carcarano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Yea, that is what it sounds like. When Carlos receives the email, it shows as Craig and Carlos (which makes him think it is YouTube related, instead of just from his dad’s work email).

If this is with the stock mail app, you can try changing the name on that one account (like you did when you first set it up). That may solve the problem.
Well, I don't think it's YouTube related, however that is the email we have our channel under. Also, the problem is in the Apple Mail App.

carcarano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Oh. Do you have a way to fix it? I looked online, but all I could find were tips for Yahoo and Google, and none of them worked.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Look in your Contacts - do you have a "Craig and Carlos" contact that includes Craig's work email address?

Mail, Messages, FaceTime, and Phone apps all use Contacts to match incoming phone numbers and email addresses to the names associated with those phone numbers and email addresses, and displays them so that instead of seeing 123-455-7890 or name@domainname.com you'll see the person's name.

carcarano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Look in your Contacts - do you have a "Craig and Carlos" contact that includes Craig's work email address?

Mail, Messages, FaceTime, and Phone apps all use contacts to match incoming phone numbers and email addresses to the names associated with those phone numbers and email addresses, and displays them so that instead of seeing 123-455-7890 or name@domainname.com you'll see the person's name.
No, I don't think he does. However, YouTube may have set that so that the name is Craig And Carlo instead.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Do both have the same phone number listed? I have my wife listed as her name and ICE(in case of emergency) and it sometimes shows up as her name and ICE as happening to you

carcarano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Do both have the same phone number listed? I have my wife listed as her name and ICE(in case of emergency) and it sometimes shows up as her name and ICE as happening to you
I'm sorry, but can you clarify that?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello! My dad has an iPhone 7, and I have a 5s. My name is Carlo, And my dad's name is Craig. When he sends an email using his work email, it comes up as "Craig And Carlo". We only have our YouTube channel Craig And Carlo's Product Reviews. He could use his personal email, but he doesn't want to. For now, he's been using an archived email address. Does anybody in the forum know what might be happening, why, and how to make go back to just "Craig xxxxxxx"?
Do you have the email account that he is using part of any contacts on your phone?

If you look at the same email using a computer or perhaps another device does it show up with the same name there?

carcarano

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Do you have the email account that he is using part of any contacts on your phone?

If you look at the same email using a computer or perhaps another device does it show up with the same name there?
Yes, I do have him in my contacts, and it comes up as Craig on my phone, but when I get an email from him it comes up as Craig and Carlo. It does still show up as Craig And Carlo when he emails somewhere else.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I do have him in my contacts, and it comes up as Craig on my phone, but when I get an email from him it comes up as Craig and Carlo. It does still show up as Craig And Carlo when he emails somewhere else.
How's the name configured on that email account (if you access it directly through the email provider, like through the web interface, for example)?

imnotlisa

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2020
BAD NEWS:
The sender is able to configure a name that is sent through via the RFC822/etc mail headers. This sender-name is usually visible to the recipient via whatever email user-agent program is in use. You will not be able to change that name if it originates with the sender email unless you or an intermediate mail hop uses a mail script/filter that can textually-replace the wrong name with the right name.

GOOD NEWS:
You can consider to eliminate ALL contacts which have anything to do with Craig or Carlo. Does problem recur after that? Please let us know! Either way, going forward, consider to have only ONE address or ONE phone number per contact, even though that will result in a bunch of contacts for the same person. Result will help all contacts/origination-methods be distinguishable via the Apple or whatever apps according to the names YOU pick. You can pick contact names like "Carlo-work-email" and "Carlo-home-email" and "Carlo-iphone" - they should "override" or at least be visible prominently via whatever email program and also with the Apple IOS phone program. If that idea helps or doesn't help, please let us know what you observe and think. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.