Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Hi all. I bought a PowerBook G3 Pismo about 6 months ago off eBay. I threw in an SSD and with the 512 MB RAM, it's a screamer on Mac OS 9. I installed Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, but for nostalgias sake and my use purposes, Mac OS 9 is fine. I use the PowerBook multiple times a week. It holds enormous sentimental value from a previous era from my life, and I've found it to be a productivity workhorse for me. With no meaningful access to the internet/email/iMessage, when I use this computer, it's all work (word processing) and so much less distraction. I also just love this computer and its keyboard.

The huge surprise on this Mac was that the replacement battery it came with - a third party, guessing it was bought somewhere 2004-2006, still holds 3-4 hours of charge for my uses! Absolutely shocked and blown away. Not sure how many cycles it has.

I know this battery's time to hold a functional charge is impossible to predict given I don't know its past use, and likely quite limited in lifespan at this point. I want to prolong it as much as possible. There are certainly times I want to use the battery, but other times, I'm fine with keeping it at my desk and plugged in.

How to take care of this battery as best as possible? I was considering charging it to about 80%, removing from the computer, and then in its place put in an expansion bay weight saving device when I'm not using it. And then utilize the battery at least once a month or so, dropping to about 40-50% and then recharge back to 80%.

I know that the above method would probably be the best for today's batteries, but I'm not sure if that'd be the case for these older batteries. That said, lithium is lithium.

Any ideas on how to prolong it? Is my plan a good one?

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
I once found an article about long term storage of batteries in military.
They are charged to 40% then keep in a cool and dry place.

That's military, what about Apple? The answer is 50%

The next question is when to recharge them?
Generally, it's advised not to let the power drop below 20%.

I've been keeping my 800MHz iBook G3's original battery this way (40%).
And it still holds about 2 hours of use when fully charged.

Picture 1.png

Last edited:

micahgartman

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX, USA
Buy a non-charging battery from eBay and put in new cells. It's not the easiest job, but you're rocking a Pismo so you should be able to get 'er done pretty easily. Here's an introduction to the process:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.