Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omega2812

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Hello,

I've trawled the Internet and performed so many steps I can't recall now!

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 which I want to sell on and have taken the hard drive out.

I simply want to install MacOS (any version) onto it to resell and have a fresh working OS to sell/demonstrate that it works to the buyer.

I simply have been unable to do this, I've tried everything.

The closest I have been able to get is to have it boot from a USB onto a screen that says 'OS X Base System' or a flashing folder with a question mark.

Things I need clarifying are:

- Which format to format the new HDD in? I suspect it was Mac OS Extended Journal, but could someone confirm?
- Which key combination to press during startup? I see Options, Option + Ctrl, Option + R, but could someone clarify?

Finally, for the bootable media, is there a known working guide out there? I've tried everything, even bought something off eBay to try and install, all fails with the folder and question mark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end here!

Thank you.

Reactions: Rob1n

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
Hello,

I've trawled the Internet and performed so many steps I can't recall now!

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3.1 which I want to sell on and have taken the hard drive out.

I simply want to install MacOS (any version) onto it to resell and have a fresh working OS to sell/demonstrate that it works to the buyer.

I simply have been unable to do this, I've tried everything.

The closest I have been able to get is to have it boot from a USB onto a screen that says 'OS X Base System' or a flashing folder with a question mark.

Things I need clarifying are:

- Which format to format the new HDD in? I suspect it was Mac OS Extended Journal, but could someone confirm?
- Which key combination to press during startup? I see Options, Option + Ctrl, Option + R, but could someone clarify?

Finally, for the bootable media, is there a known working guide out there? I've tried everything, even bought something off eBay to try and install, all fails with the folder and question mark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wits end here!

Thank you.

Probably need a disk of any older OS version ( snow leopard maybe) and start from there, allowing you to get into the app store.

Mac OS Journel sounds right, not sure but think option R is the one as well.

Ghostbuster386

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Orlando, FL
Good morning,

Here are a couple of guides from Apple that should help.

Create Bootable installer

Apple Startup Commands

Reinstall Mac OS

Rob1n

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
Here is a simple tool to create a bootable usb with mac os:
http://dosdude1.com/apps/Mac OS X USB Drive Creator.zip

The right format is Mac OS Extended (journaled) with a GUID partition table.
Before using the tool I would recommend formatting your usb to the same thing as the drive. ^^

After creating the bootable drive, insert it in the computer and hold down options once you hear the boot chime.
You will now see all the bootable drives in the computer (in your case only the usb).
Select the drive with the arrow keys and now you will boot into the installer.
You can now just follow the steps on screen and install mac os normally.

The latest supported os on a mac pro 2008 is Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan, Here is a download link (From apple)

I do have to point out that you may experience the issue where it says "no packages were eligible for install". Here is a link to another forum post on how to resolve that issue:

I hope you know what to do now, and if you have any further questions you can reply to this post.

JMSanctum

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Simply download a copy of MacOS El Capitan ( link here ) and use it to create a USB bootable installer. Disconnect your Mac from the internet/Wi-fi, then open System Preferences>Date and Time, deselect the option Set time and date automatically (you will be asked to insert your password) and set the clock to a date prior to 2015. Then, boot from the USB installer and proceed installing MacOS as usual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.