Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I may be overthinking this...

I've had an S3, S5, S6, S7... so I have a few watch bands that I was expecting to use with my Ultra.

However, on the Ultra the Nike Sports Band / Sports Loops looks ridiculously thin. Also, the metal connector lugs on the Ultra band make me think twice about switching out the bands 6x times a week (2x a workout) due to wear and tear?

When I work out I switch the Sports Loop to a Nike Sports Band - I exercise 2-3 days a week (usually a 15-30 min run). I tried exercising with Sports Loops but I sweat heavily (I am not small) so they took forever to dry, hence the Nike Sports Band that I switched to every time I exercised.

Question 1: How are y'all cleaning / washing your Alpine Loop after workouts? Can't just throw this thing in the dryer like I could with my Sports Loops (due to metal lugs) - right?

Question 2: Are you switching bands out every time you exercise? I read the Alpine loop dries pretty fast so I figure just rinse it out after a workout?

Thanks!

(P.S. Getting ready to go on my first run with the Ultra).

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
I swap bands twice a day on average. I use my leather link band most days at work and then swap out for a (third party) sport band or loop for my daily workout, then switch back again most mornings.

I have yet to use my Alpine loop for workouts. It's more like my casual out-and-about band. I also might use it when I go hiking, backpacking, snowboarding, etc., because hey it's an Alpine loop.

So I guess I'd prefer to use one of my cheaper sports bands when a lot of sweat and dirt (like when I play softball or disc golf) gets involved. I might become less precious about my Alpine band, time will tell.

I don't really feel that the sports bands look ridiculously thin nor do I worry about wearing down the connections. Hopefully I'm not being unduly complacent about that.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
IMG_3213.jpeg

Thank you for the info! I too prefer to save my Alpine loop for non-heavy duty workouts. This is my first non-Aluminum watch and I've always used the non-metal bands.

And on second look, yeah not bad. :D

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that all of my bands fit on the watch and look pretty good. I've also got this titanium band on order.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
A quality band is required to do a quality workout and reach the goals you have set for yourself

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
If you have an Apple Store nearby, try the Ocean Band. I’m primarily a runner but that’s been my go-to for exercising (and daily wear). It makes the watch feel quite secure on my wrist, and I prefer it to the Trail Loop (which, though lightweight, felt unbalanced with the watch).

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I just got some knock off sport loops and I agree they look too thin on the the Ultra. I love how the sport bands look on the ultra and have been my go to so far. I have rarely worn my Trail loop for time being.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
The metal connector lugs on the Ultra band make me think twice about switching out the bands 6x times a week (2x a workout) due to wear and tear?

Those connectors can stand up to many thousands of swapouts without issue. I still have a sport band from my original Apple Watch I got in 2015 that swaps in and out without a problem. The super-cheap third-party bands that use flimsy manufacturing and sub-par materials likely wouldn't hold up well, but Apple's own bands don't have any issues that I've ever seen, even when swapping out multiple times per day.

Question 1: How are y'all cleaning / washing your Alpine Loop after workouts?

I just wash mine under the faucet in the bathroom sink, like all my other (non-leather) bands. I haven't had this one long enough for it to get stinky, but if/when it does, soap and water under the faucet should handle it just fine.

Question 2: Are you switching bands out every time you exercise? I read the Alpine loop dries pretty fast so I figure just rinse it out after a workout?

I switch bands out after every workout, yeah. I don't wash them after every workout, though.

For reference, this is the band "schedule" I use:
  • Sleep: Braided Solo Loop
  • Indoor workout (temperature less than 12 degrees C): Nike Sport Loop
  • Indoor workout (temperature greater than 12 degrees C): Nike Sport Band
  • Outdoor workout: Alpine Loop
  • Daily wear: third-party leather cuff band, or third-party copy of Apple's Leather Loop, or Juuk Vitero
  • When it's time to get "fancy": Space Black Link Bracelet
I swap between bands multiple times per day, every day, at minimum switching between the Braided Solo Loop for sleeping, one of my workout bands, and one of my daily driver bands.

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017
I workout 7 days a week and sometimes even twice a day, like today. I only use ocean and Nike sport bands. I do run 🏃‍♂️ 8 miles usually, bike about 30 miles and weight lifting. My workouts last no less than 90 mins and I sweat a lot so fabric bands don’t work for me during workouts.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
I have the Alpine Loop — in Starlight, no less — and I wear it 23 1/2 hours a day. I put in a strenuous bodyweight workout two to three times a week, and I close my rings most other days with walking across campus, etc.

A couple times a week, I take off the band and give it a good scrub with Dawn and a toothbrush. I’ll wipe down the watch before putting the band back on, and run a thin swipe of Neosporin around my wrist before putting it back on.

I have a couple inexpensive-but-nice leather bands I’ve worn a couple times, including to the Philharmonic.

I don’t expect to change the routine significantly.

b&

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
The ocean band works great. It dries out quickly. The Alpine also dries out quickly and is extremely light. I change out my watch bands all my apple watches every day, and have never experience wear that effect the watch in any way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.