Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I prefer to be able to do my freelance stuff remotely or anywhere in the world i choose to go to at any given moment.
But... what kind of a computer setup must i own in order to be able to work remotely? I guess, owning a large computer screen is a must, because there are clients that have to do with printing and desktop publishing work. What would you do in my case?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Tell me more what you're thinking cause i just can't be moving around with an iMac! ;)

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
You need either:
  • You Mac, an Internet connection, and a lot of knowledge about network security.
  • An app that handles the network security for you, of course you still need the internet connections.
While I use the built in macOS remote services when "remoting" over our internal office network where security isn't a significant issue, I rely on TeamViewer when working across the Internet.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks, i've already used team viewer and it is a solution, but my real problem i guess is what would be the most convenient workstation to be working in!

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Thanks, i've already used team viewer and it is a solution, but my real problem i guess is what would be the most convenient workstation to be working in!
To work with, the largest and best quality monitor you can get, preferably at least has large and as hi rez as the host machine at home.

If you need to work from a "travel machine", that generally means a notebook computer. If your "freelance stuff" is graphics orientated then the best notebooks to use will be Windows notebooks or "antique" MacBooks. You can get larger displays on Windows notebooks than you can on the "I must be thin and light" Apple offerings available today.

I've run my office Macs (PM w/ Cinema Display and iMac 27" Retina) remotely using my Dell Venue 8 Pro (8" Windows 10 tablet with BT keyboard and mouse) using TeamViewer. It's a pain on the small screen, but it does work. Most of my remote work was done from Windows desktop machines with 20-24" displays where the screen display scaling is minimal or nonexistent. Accessing email and doing file transfers on the Macs remotely from the 8" tablet was very functional. Using Photoshop and Illustrator was doable for brief periods and simple jobs, but any extensive Ps and Ai work really needs to be done from a larger display. It would be challenging even on a 13-15" notebook display.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah i see what your talking about and thanks for the info, but what i really want is to be able to work seamlessly 100% when i am away from the office. If only there was a screen that could be folded and be carried with, i think that would be awesome. I would use a powerful MBPro and connect that screen to it. Wishful thinking i know :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.