Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
A friend of mine runs Sierra on her laptop but part of her job involves working with a database on Microsoft Access on the company PC. But, given she doesn't have access (no pun intended:) to the company computer all the time and travels a lot, she would like to be able to work on the database on her MacBook. I'm trying to work out the possibilities. As far as I'm aware, no version of Microsoft Office for Mac includes Access, and Access won't run through CrossOver Mac. Virtual Machines are probably out because her MacBook is very old and probably doesn't have enough RAM. A Bootcamp partition may be a possibility with Windows 10 if her laptop is acceptable. The only other possibility I can think of is using something like LibreOffice but does anyone know whether Access files can be opened and edited on it?

vladimirc

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2018
A friend of mine runs Sierra on her laptop but part of her job involves working with a database on Microsoft Access on the company PC. But, given she doesn't have access (no pun intended:) to the company computer all the time and travels a lot, she would like to be able to work on the database on her MacBook. I'm trying to work out the possibilities. As far as I'm aware, no version of Microsoft Office for Mac includes Access, and Access won't run through CrossOver Mac. Virtual Machines are probably out because her MacBook is very old and probably doesn't have enough RAM. A Bootcamp partition may be a possibility with Windows 10 if her laptop is acceptable. The only other possibility I can think of is using something like LibreOffice but does anyone know whether Access files can be opened and edited on it?

As far as I know, the only way to "work" with access files is through parallels (or similar) or bootcamp. There are some programs that allow you to read access files on macOS but their editing capabilities are between extremely limited and none. Basically you see tables, that's about it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.