Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
I did a 2~ hour walk today and recorded it with my Apple Watch as I have been doing for weeks now.

All was recorded fine, and my workout showed the correct time, but my activity monitor only added 43 minutes of exercise for that day?

Is this tied in with the heart rate bug, do we think? Previously a 30 minute walk (for instance) would usually add around 28/29 minutes work out time, presumably deducting a minute or two where my heart wasn't going enough to constitute a 'workout'

Thoughts?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
No it has nothing to do with the heart rate but. Apple is only counting "brisk" walks as exercise. If you want credit for the full 2 hours you'll have to do a bit of a speed walk.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
No it has nothing to do with the heart rate but. Apple is only counting "brisk" walks as exercise. If you want credit for the full 2 hours you'll have to do a bit of a speed walk.

My walks have gotten less "brisk" as a result of me upgrading to 1.01?

I have been taking time to stop and ponder the changelog

Nothing has changed other than the software. Same routes, same distances, same times. Different results.

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
My walks have gotten less "brisk" as a result of me upgrading to 1.01?

I have been taking time to stop and ponder the changelog

Nothing has changed other than the software. Same routes, same distances, same times. Different results.
Hmm that's interesting. Do you do a outdoor workout on your walks or do you just go?

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Hmm that's interesting. Do you do a outdoor workout on your walks or do you just go?

"Outdoor Walk" - as I said in the OP, the "exercise" records the same time, but the activity monitor shows different results.

In 1.0 a 30 minute walk would usually add 28/29 minutes of "exercise" in AM. 2 hours would usually record at least 100 minutes.

In 1.01 a 2 hour walk recorded just 43 minutes, less than 40% of exercise time. Very unusual.

My thinking was that because the heart rate monitor is playing up in 1.01; the watch is less sure of when I am actually burning calories/doing actual "exercise". Less HR recordings = less exercise recorded.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
"Outdoor Walk" - as I said in the OP, the "exercise" records the same time, but the activity monitor shows different results.

In 1.0 a 30 minute walk would usually add 28/29 minutes of "exercise" in AM. 2 hours would usually record at least 100 minutes.

In 1.01 a 2 hour walk recorded just 43 minutes, less than 40% of exercise time. Very unusual.

My thinking was that because the heart rate monitor is playing up in 1.01; the watch is less sure of when I am actually burning calories/doing actual "exercise". Less HR recordings = less exercise recorded.

It could be the heart rate, but I'm thinking it's an whole different issue. When in a workout like outdoor walk it should be taking your heart rate at all times even with the new 1.0.1 bug.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
There is a setting in the Apple Watch app on the phone under Workout that can disable the HR from being checked during an outdoor walk/run. Check that also. But there may be some software issues here as well. I've noticed some irregularity with how my exercise "credits" have been counted too.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
There is a setting in the Apple Watch app on the phone under Workout that can disable the HR from being checked during an outdoor walk/run. Check that also. But there may be some software issues here as well. I've noticed some irregularity with how my exercise "credits" have been counted too.

I'm not in power saving mode, never have been

robsonrjs

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
I have been doing little walk all and didn't receive any exercise credits plus my HR is completely off..

i am getting upset with all of this

sdallnct2

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
My exercise ring is almost always a few minutes less than my actual exercise.

I assume this is because I do 5+ min of warm up and 5+ min of cool down with every workout. And especially early in my warm up and late in my cool down is likely not intense enough to count as exercise (but likely as "move").

As for walking specifically, I walk on a treadmill with hills and do weights on non-run day. I just use "other" for my entire time at the gym for these workouts. Based on apps I have used on my phone, previous use of a HR monitor, and charts and such found on the net based on age and weight, the AW appears reasonable accurate for calories burned.

Im very pleased with the features and fitness aspects of my AW. And having worked out regularly for several years, it seems accurate and is motivating to me. I saw no real change after the FW upgrade, that I noticed anyway.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015

Perhaps you are getting fitter, and the intensity is no longer sufficient?

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I did a 2~ hour walk today and recorded it with my Apple Watch as I have been doing for weeks now.

All was recorded fine, and my workout showed the correct time, but my activity monitor only added 43 minutes of exercise for that day?

Is this tied in with the heart rate bug, do we think? Previously a 30 minute walk (for instance) would usually add around 28/29 minutes work out time, presumably deducting a minute or two where my heart wasn't going enough to constitute a 'workout'

Thoughts?

What does the raw heart rate data say in the health app? Is your heart rate elevated enough to be recorded as exercise. The heart rate bug doesn't apple to when you are in constant hr monitoring during a workout.

DrSD

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Melbourne
Did 50 minute run and under exercise it shows 32minutes.

But under workout it does show 50 minute indoor run.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Did 50 minute run and under exercise it shows 32minutes.

But under workout it does show 50 minute indoor run.
What did it say after similar workouts on 1.0?

I'm guessing it was much higher, perhaps even the full 50 given it was a run?

Definitely seems like a problem here. Have reported using Apple Feedback Page, please do the same if you're having this issue.

Last edited:

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Just did a 1 hour 14 minute walk. Recorded 6 minutes exercise.

Definitely a problem here

Last edited:

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Screenshots attached

Attachments

• Photo 24-05-2015 12 51 03.png
    Photo 24-05-2015 12 51 03.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Photo 24-05-2015 12 50 56.png
    Photo 24-05-2015 12 50 56.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 107

cstan5678

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I am so glad I'm not the only person who has noticed this extremely annoying problem. Until I updated the watch os I had always reached or exceeded my exercise goal every day. Now I'm having to do so much more.

On a side note, I have figured out that while doing a run or brisk walk, if I hold my phone in my hand as opposed to being in my pocket then the exercise seems to register a little bit better.

Example: with phone in pocket and doing 20 min brisk walk the exercise registered 9 minutes. Doing a walk at same speed on treadmill with the phone in my hand, 20 mins got me 17 exercise.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
I am so glad I'm not the only person who has noticed this extremely annoying problem. Until I updated the watch os I had always reached or exceeded my exercise goal every day. Now I'm having to do so much more.

On a side note, I have figured out that while doing a run or brisk walk, if I hold my phone in my hand as opposed to being in my pocket then the exercise seems to register a little bit better.

Example: with phone in pocket and doing 20 min brisk walk the exercise registered 9 minutes. Doing a walk at same speed on treadmill with the phone in my hand, 20 mins got me 17 exercise.

Glad to see someone else has recognised there's a problem. There's an awful lot of "you must be walking slower", "you must have enabled power saving mode", "you must have developed a heart defect" on this forum.

Sometimes Apple do make mistakes people!

Have you reported it to Apple? Any response?

cstan5678

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015
I have reported it to Apple, no response as yet though. It's definitely not a case of being less active, there is a bug of some kind making this happen.

Another thing I noticed that I had forgotten about until now, after I updated the software, the workout app showed me the calibration advice message again on my first outdoor walk, which I had already done a before with previous os. Not sure if that's relevant to the issue or not though.

devobail

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Screenshots attached

Sorry to say but in the eyes of Apple this is far from a "brisk" walk. I'm no fitness buff by any means, but I've noticed when I do my indoor or outside walks with my Apple watch I've got to be at at least a 16-17 minute mile pace, which on a treadmill is right around the 3.3-3.5 speed range.

A 25 minute mile pace seems like a fairly casual stroll.

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2015
Sorry to say but in the eyes of Apple this is far from a "brisk" walk. I'm no fitness buff by any means, but I've noticed when I do my indoor or outside walks with my Apple watch I've got to be at at least a 16-17 minute mile pace, which on a treadmill is right around the 3.3-3.5 speed range.

A 25 minute mile pace seems like a fairly casual stroll.
To be fair this was slower than usual. Met with a friend and his new rescue dog.

That said we still covered nearly 3 miles. I'd say that constitutes more than 6 minutes of exercise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.