Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Workout App: Does selecting wrong type of workout impact the recordings or their interpretation- outdoor walk/ outdoor run.
If Workout activity type selected in Workout App of Apple watch is Outdoor Run, but the actual activity performed is Outdoor walk, does it impact the activity data recorded or interpreted. If vice versa happens- if activity selected is outdoor walk but the actual activity performed is outdoor run, does it have any effect on the data recorded or its interpretation.
Similar situation can be- activity selected is indoor walk, but the activity performed is outdoor run. What impact does it have on the data recording or its interpretation.

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Yes, but I think this is complicated and confusing. I track "flights climbed" and some activities will save that metric and some will not; and I also think if you are started a particular kind of workout that will preempt other default tracking (at least, for flights climbed) so those don't get saved separately for the workout if they occur at the same time. An example is selecting "cross country skiing" which does not appear to save "flights climbed" which doesn't make sense, since you are skiing up and skiing down and should get credit for that work uphill.

For steps/miles/general activity, I haven't noticed a difference, but I would not necessarily have noticed either. Kayaking tracks paddle strokes as "steps" which also doesn't make any sense (so selecting that as a workout does not stop the watch from tracking paddle strokes as steps). But I don't usually mind getting credit for that work anyway.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, but I think this is complicated and confusing. I track "flights climbed" and some activities will save that metric and some will not; and I also think if you are started a particular kind of workout that will preempt other default tracking (at least, for flights climbed) so those don't get saved separately for the workout if they occur at the same time. An example is selecting "cross country skiing" which does not appear to save "flights climbed" which doesn't make sense, since you are skiing up and skiing down and should get credit for that work uphill.

For steps/miles/general activity, I haven't noticed a difference, but I would not necessarily have noticed either. Kayaking tracks paddle strokes as "steps" which also doesn't make any sense (so selecting that as a workout does not stop the watch from tracking paddle strokes as steps). But I don't usually mind getting credit for that work anyway.

FYI you don’t need to select any workout or a free detect workout for flights. Just climb and either the iPhone or Apple Watch will count your steps. In Health app, i believe you can set Step counts as a favourite in the main Health app page and eventually you should see trends.

BTW, keep at your Steps and stairs climbed. Great way to start and maintain your basic health and blood flow. Keep up the good work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.