Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYanakiev

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2015
London, UK
More importantly, please try and add the two indicators I was referring at the point, where you are ready to press: GO!
Having an easy way to know that both HR and GPS have been acquired and ready to go is invaluable!

Reactions: cfc

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
How do I view Watch App Analytics of my last run AFTER I have clicked done?

Been using this app regularly, and absolutely love it, but often I finish a run, and then second or minutes later is when Im interested in reminding myself what time I just recorded, or looking at splits, whilst walking back to car but...there’s seemingly no way of getting at the info again until I get back in range of my phone?

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
How do I view Watch App Analytics of my last run AFTER I have clicked done?

Been using this app regularly, and absolutely love it, but often I finish a run, and then second or minutes later is when Im interested in reminding myself what time I just recorded, or looking at splits, whilst walking back to car but...there’s seemingly no way of getting at the info again until I get back in range of my phone?

There is currently no way to view the stats for old workouts on the watch. It is currently only possible on the phone. However you do not need to press Done straight away because the workout is saved when you press End. So you could just leave the stats from the last workout on display until you start a new one (or until watchOS decides you haven't used the app for a while and kills it off to make space for something else to run).

I may make it possible to view the stats for the last workout from the main menu, but unfortunately not in the next version. Sorry about that.

Glad you love the app though!

Reactions: FunkyMagicUK

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
Oh that will definitely work as an option...thanks.

I only click “done” because I’m paranoid about not finishing properly and something being lost...so if that’s all done with the “end” then I’ll possibly never press “done” again!!

Only other “it would be good if” for me would be if after selecting the workout type, it didn’t automatically start, but instead went to an interim screen with a big fat GO button....the one issue I have is it’s a little bit fiddly starting an activity, especially in a race where you’re in a crowded pen where it may take you a minute or so to get near the start line...you’re jogging in that crowd and having to pick out the tiny “run” button just as you get to the start line is not the easiest when you’re concentrating on not tripping over the person ahead of you.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
It used to be that the app didn't save the workout until you pressed Done, so that you could choose whether or not to discard the workout. However I found that people would often forget to press Done and watchOS sometimes eventually killed off the app and the workout would be lost. So I changed it with version 3.0 so that it automatically saves the workout when you end it, and then specifically deletes it only if the user then presses Discard.

I can imagine that it can be hard to hit the right workout when in a crowd so I will bear that in mind for future versions. In the meantime the next version (next week) will have the ability to choose which workout types to show, so you could limit the number of buttons, which may help.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
^^just fiddling with that, shouldn’t the “discard” button either have the same “1.5second” accidental touch protection that in-workout screen buttons do, OR have a “are you sure?” screen?

It seems too easy to discard, which is possibly why I’m tuned to hit done as soon as possible!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
^^just fiddling with that, shouldn’t the “discard” button either have the same “1.5second” accidental touch protection that in-workout screen buttons do, OR have a “are you sure?” screen?

It seems too easy to discard, which is possibly why I’m tuned to hit done as soon as possible!

That is a good idea. Although discarding is only an option for short workouts, which are generally more likely to be discarded. If the workout was longer than one lap (1 mile or 1km) then it will show a Splits button instead, and if the workout needs to be deleted then that will have to be done from the iPhone app.

However you are right: an Are You Sure? option is probably worth adding. But unfortunately not in the next version because that has already been submitted to Apple, hopefully for release early next week.

FunkyMagicUK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2018
By the way, is there any info anywhere on what the POI feature is or how to use it?

I’ve created routes with waypoints in the ViewRanger app, but they don’t seem to get picked up as POIs.

I can’t work out how to create a POI...do I do it on the watch? Would be useful to open the “just a map” screen and drop a POI at current location to use to find way back to car after a run etc.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
By the way, is there any info anywhere on what the POI feature is or how to use it?

I’ve created routes with waypoints in the ViewRanger app, but they don’t seem to get picked up as POIs.

I can’t work out how to create a POI...do I do it on the watch? Would be useful to open the “just a map” screen and drop a POI at current location to use to find way back to car after a run etc.

The app should display any waypoints in a GPX file as icons on the map. Please could you send the file to me at info@workoutdoors.net and I will investigate. Thanks.

I will be adding the ability to create POIs and navigate to them in a future version which will concentrate on the mapping and navigation aspects of the app.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
The app should display any waypoints in a GPX file as icons on the map. Please could you send the file to me at info@workoutdoors.net and I will investigate. Thanks.

I will be adding the ability to create POIs and navigate to them in a future version which will concentrate on the mapping and navigation aspects of the app.

Wow, if this app doesn't make you "Rich & Famous", you should check into employment at Garmin, they could use someone with programming experience to do just what you're doing with WorkOutDoors for their fenix series! LOL Thanks again for a great app.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Wow, if this app doesn't make you "Rich & Famous", you should check into employment at Garmin, they could use someone with programming experience to do just what you're doing with WorkOutDoors for their fenix series! LOL Thanks again for a great app.

Thanks! :)

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
App Store review done ...
In french ;-)

That's fantastic! Many thanks for that.

I will have Google Translate ready for when it gets through the system. :)

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I have released the latest version of the app, with support for the AW4 screens and complications, as well as direct uploading to Strava. The full list of new features is:

- Compatibility with Apple Watch Series 4, including the larger screen and complications for the new watch faces;
- Compatibility with watchOS 5, iOS 12 and the new iPhones;
- Direct uploading to Strava;
- Access to the Now Playing music controls from within the app (by configuring a button or a gesture);
- Ability to swipe between screens (as long as it is not on the map, which pans if swiped);
- Ability to hide activity types that you do not use (currently only in the watch app);
- Ability to configure the length of time that a button needs to be touched (including just requiring a tap);
- Lots of other minor changes and bug fixes.

The new screens were a lot harder to cater for than I expected, but I am very happy with the result. The maps are much bigger and clearer, and the text is also larger on most screens and therefore easier to read whilst exercising.
Series4ComparisonOverview.png

The rounded corners mean that isn't possible to put a metric in the corner of the screen without it being partially obscured. This was particularly a problem at the bottom of the screen. On previous models when the app wanted to display a message to the user then it would overwrite the bottom metrics, but now on the series 4 the app always shows the message at the bottom of the screen because that does not need to go into the corners.

By default the message shows the screen number and profile, but it is configurable by the user, so you can make it blank, or even show two small metrics that you always want to see no matter what screen is being shown.
Series4ComparisonHeart2.png

If you haven't already bought the app then please give it a try!

Attachments

• Series4ComparisonFullMap.png
    Series4ComparisonFullMap.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 259

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Great app but I’m having trouble on my paddles with the watch app stopping mid paddle. Any suggestions? I’m on the latest version with Apple Watch 4

Attachments

• 20E9C1C5-54C9-4936-A5FF-84388E519440.png
    20E9C1C5-54C9-4936-A5FF-84388E519440.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 250

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Great app but I’m having trouble on my paddles with the watch app stopping mid paddle. Any suggestions? I’m on the latest version with Apple Watch 4

Glad you like the app but sorry it is doing strange things. When you say that it stops do you mean that it crashes, pauses or seizes up? It looks fine in the screenshot - is that after it has stopped working or before?

Can you use it at all, for instance can you pan the map, or force press the screen to get a menu? Although I guess it is difficult to do much when the screen is wet.

Sorry about this. I haven't heard of it just stopping, but hopefully we can work out what is causing it.

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Glad you like the app but sorry it is doing strange things. When you say that it stops do you mean that it crashes, pauses or seizes up? It looks fine in the screenshot - is that after it has stopped working or before?

Can you use it at all, for instance can you pan the map, or force press the screen to get a menu? Although I guess it is difficult to do much when the screen is wet.

Sorry about this. I haven't heard of it just stopping, but hopefully we can work out what is causing it.

Thanks for responding!
no the app appeared to be working fine while I was paddling but it did not transfer the information up to the iPhone. It’s as if the data was only partially transmitted. Otherwise it worked fine when I looked at it during my paddle

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for responding!
no the app appeared to be working fine while I was paddling but it did not transfer the information up to the iPhone. It’s as if the data was only partially transmitted. Otherwise it worked fine when I looked at it during my paddle

When you say it was partially transmitted, did the workout appear in the Health app but not in the WorkOutDoors app? It could be that there was a problem with the watch app installation that prevents workouts being sent back to the app. This seems to happen sometimes since watchOS 5 was released.

Sorry about that. It is usually fixed by reinstalling the watch app. To do this please uninstall the watch app (not the iPhone app); reboot both watch and phone; and reinstall the watch app. This will not recover that workout, but hopefully it will not happen again.

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
When you say it was partially transmitted, did the workout appear in the Health app but not in the WorkOutDoors app? It could be that there was a problem with the watch app installation that prevents workouts being sent back to the app. This seems to happen sometimes since watchOS 5 was released.

Sorry about that. It is usually fixed by reinstalling the watch app. To do this please uninstall the watch app (not the iPhone app); reboot both watch and phone; and reinstall the watch app. This will not recover that workout, but hopefully it will not happen again.
I’ll give a a try! Thanks for your time. It’s a great app!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
@cfc I am very interested in this app, especially the ability to import a GPX file for my trail runs. I have been using iSmoothRun and getting lost :).

I also do interval sessions, which leads onto my question. Are you able to programme an interval session, say 30 sec Zone 3, active recover for 2 minutes, and repeat 10 times?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Edit* just read this whole thread and seems like it is high on your ‘to-do’ list. Any idea on approx timescales?

Last edited:

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
@cfc I am very interested in this app, especially the ability to import a GPX file for my trail runs. I have been using iSmoothRun and getting lost :).

I also do interval sessions, which leads onto my question. Are you able to programme an interval session, say 30 sec Zone 3, active recover for 2 minutes, and repeat 10 times?

Edit* just read this whole thread and seems like it is high on your ‘to-do’ list. Any idea on approx timescales?

I am adding Intervals at the moment, along with a few other features. I hope to release a beta version to testers before Xmas, but it depends on how development goes. And then the timing of the release to the App Store will depend on how the testing goes. If I had to guess then probably in about 2 months from now, but I wouldn't like to commit to that.

In the meantime some users run Intervals Pro at the same time. It has a setting that doesn't involve running a workout so it can provide the alerts whilst WorkOutDoors does the rest. Using two apps at once is obviously not as convenient as an integrated system, but may be ok as a temporary workaround.

Reactions: stridemat

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I am adding Intervals at the moment, along with a few other features. I hope to release a beta version to testers before Xmas, but it depends on how development goes. And then the timing of the release to the App Store will depend on how the testing goes. If I had to guess then probably in about 2 months from now, but I wouldn't like to commit to that.

In the meantime some users run Intervals Pro at the same time. It has a setting that doesn't involve running a workout so it can provide the alerts whilst WorkOutDoors does the rest. Using two apps at once is obviously not as convenient as an integrated system, but may be ok as a temporary workaround.

Excellent, please keep us posted. I will continue with iSmoothRun for the time being, however as soon as this functionality is there I will be all in.

OMouyau

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018
I waited a few more runs to be sure but it seems one field is no longer doing the job ;).
One of my custom screen for my runs features the "previous pace" for my last km.
Not sure if timing is right, but this feature was working until the last update (a few days ago).
Now I just have the dashes (see picture).

Just a quick note too. At the end of a run, the summary page doesn't show the total distance.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_57f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_57f.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 267

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I waited a few more runs to be sure but it seems one field is no longer doing the job ;).
One of my custom screen for my runs features the "previous pace" for my last km.
Not sure if timing is right, but this feature was working until the last update (a few days ago).
Now I just have the dashes (see picture).

Just a quick note too. At the end of a run, the summary page doesn't show the total distance.

Sorry about that. Both those fields are working when I test them now, so we need to work out what is different about how you are using the app that is highlighting the issues.

Have you got auto-laps switched on (which it is by default) or manual laps? The "Previous Pace" field is the pace on the previous lap and will be blank if there are no previous laps. If you do not use laps then you may want to try one of the "Rolling Pace" fields, which show the pace over a previous configurable period (such as the last km).

Is the summary page without the distance the one on the watch or the iPhone? If it was on the watch then is it also blank on the iPhone? And what was it showing instead of the distance? Was it blank, zero, or dashes?

Sorry to ask so many questions but hopefully they will help us to diagnose the problems.

OMouyau

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018
Sorry about that. Both those fields are working when I test them now, so we need to work out what is different about how you are using the app that is highlighting the issues.

Have you got auto-laps switched on (which it is by default) or manual laps? The "Previous Pace" field is the pace on the previous lap and will be blank if there are no previous laps. If you do not use laps then you may want to try one of the "Rolling Pace" fields, which show the pace over a previous configurable period (such as the last km).

Is the summary page without the distance the one on the watch or the iPhone? If it was on the watch then is it also blank on the iPhone? And what was it showing instead of the distance? Was it blank, zero, or dashes?

Sorry to ask so many questions but hopefully they will help us to diagnose the problems.

Thanks for the info. I didn't pay attention about the difference between the auto-lap and the distance notification. The distance notficiation gives me my pace at each k and I confused it with the auto-lap. It looks like the auto-lap was on manual, I turned it back to automatic and will try on the next run.

About the summary page, it is the one on the watch you see after you end the activity and where you have the "done" and "discard" choice at the top. I went out for a short walk this time and took a snapshot (attached). Here the distance appears.
I may have been looking too fast this morning. Will check again on the next run. It is cold here in Ottawa, Canada (already in the minus double digits), and I might have remove and put my glove back on too quickly lol.

By the way, another illustration of the lack of reliability (Apple side) of the HR reading on this walk. It didn't latch on an HR at all. When I run, I exclusively use external HR with BT.

Thanks again for all your help.

Soon this app will be tried on snow-showing and cross country skiing !

fullsizeoutput_582.jpeg

[doublepost=1542581923][/doublepost]

Hi @stridemat
I have been doing more trail running recently and we have a large park here near where I live (Ottawa, Canada). The app uses "openstreetmap" as base for the mapping which is great as it even shows all unofficial trails ! I create my route (gpx file) on ridewithgps and import it on Workoutdoors. The hollow feature is awesome, you can see trail number or street name under your marked route. Didn't get lost so far :) .... but the map doesn't show bears locations ☺️ ... yes we have bears here !

Reactions: NLDeluxe and cfc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.