Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Hi Everyone. I have a 2.2ghz MacBook Pro ordered. I have just purchased World of Warcraft as well as a 23'' Apple Cinema Display. I plan to play that game using that display at 1920x1200 resolution.

I want to know how well the game will play using my system.

How much will I be able to max out without significant framerate issues?

Can someone tell me how to easily have "lid-closed mode"?

Any other beneficial information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
lid closed mode works if you close the lid with an external display and keyboard plugged in.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
lid closed mode works if you close the lid with an external display and keyboard plugged in.

I tried that while the display was connected to my sister's MacBook. The ACD would just turn black because the computer was asleep. I did have a mouse and keyboard, but they were wireless-if it makes any difference:confused:

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I tried that while the display was connected to my sister's MacBook. The ACD would just turn black because the computer was asleep. I did have a mouse and keyboard, but they were wireless-if it makes any difference:confused:

Yes it'll goto sleep, then you use hit a key on the keyboard / move the mouse to bring it back to life with the lid closed. You may need to enable a setting in the System Preferences to allow the laptop to be woken up by bluetooth devices. :)

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Yes it'll goto sleep, then you use hit a key on the keyboard / move the mouse to bring it back to life with the lid closed. You may need to enable a setting in the System Preferences to allow the laptop to be woken up by bluetooth devices. :)

Thank you very much for the information. Now, I hope that someone can give me other information regarding World of Warcraft.:)

kinetik

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
I also have the 2.2ghz SR MBP and have been playing WoW on it with an external monitor (1680x1050) in closed-lid mode... I would characterize the performance as "pretty good," but not spectacular. With most settings at default, full screen glow off, max distance at half, I could get 50-60 fps inside, 30-45 fps outside.

When I move the camera rapidly to look around, though (on a PVP server, gotta watch yer back!), it will usually "stutter" and sometimes lock-up completely. By contrast, I played last night on the family iMac and it was WAY better. High framerates, no stuttering, smooth as silk.

On the MBP I use "/console maxfps 36" which seems to limit the heat, but I'm not 100% sure. Also use SMCFanControl running around 4000rpm while gaming. Not sure if heat is related to my lockups... my gut tells me it has something to do with the video driver (being a new video card, etc.), but have yet to fully diagnose the problem.

Good luck with your machine, let us know how it runs for you!

rbarris

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2003
Irvine CA
I would strongly advise letting go of the lid-closed idea when running games like WoW. You are just asking for heat related trouble.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
What's really sad is I get much better performance from my 256 7600GT that the 8600 does at that res. :rolleyes:
To make it worse, it's with ALL settings on the highest level. :D
Of course, this is all under Winblows.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I would strongly advise letting go of the lid-closed idea when running games like WoW. You are just asking for heat related trouble.

maybe he could close the lid, wake the computer so the laptop LCD aint working, then open it back up... the mbp monitor will still be disabled.. and itl save some heat issues :)

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
It'll run...but that resolution's gonna be rough. Under Windows things would be significantly better.

Really? I thought that WoW was optimized for Mac as well; after all, the same disc works for both Mac OS X and Windows. If what you say is significant, is does running under XP or Vista make a big difference?
Thanks.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Really? I thought that WoW was optimized for Mac as well; after all, the same disc works for both Mac OS X and Windows. If what you say is significant, is does running under XP or Vista make a big difference?
Thanks.
i dont think it would really make THAT Much of a difference anymore, being a SR MBP. the older MBPs that used ATI cards were way undercloked but now the new SR with Nvidia cards the gaming is pretty good.

Ive got wow installed under OS X and it runs perfect. No problems at all

MBP SR 2.2 128MB 8600m GT

wat res is that??

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I have to warn you, something a few patches ago changed WoW on the Mac. It used to run beautifully on my MacBook Pro, but the last few weeks it's been dreadful. My framerates have dropped from a consistent 30+ to 15-20, and they dip down under 5 at times while things are going on (during fighting for example). Nothing changed in my config and I've tried all the usual things, resetting config and WTF files, /maxfps, disabling addons, etc. Go to the Mac WoW support forums and you will see lots of posts on this. So, until Blizzard (and possibly Apple if the 10.4.10 update was the culprit) fix what's wrong, I think ACD res on a MacBook Pro is going to be very painful for you, sorry. Even back before things got screwed up, I think that resolution would give you mediocre frame rates at best on that machine. Of course you can turn some settings down to get frame rate up, but don't expect it to be great.

orcrist

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Spain
Hi everyone!

I've a similar problem/question. At this moment I have a PowerMac G5 DUAL 1.8GHz. with a Nvidia with 64Mb. (nothing interesting...)

I start playing WoW for the last weeks but my frame rate never grows from 10 or 15 fps. For this and other reasons I'm thinking in purchasing a MBP 2,4 with the new Nvidia 8600 with 256Mb. and connect it on my CD of 20".

My question would be... Do you thing I will get more than...40-50 fps with that?

My other possibility is to get the iMac that will appear in a few weeks (if the rumors are right). But I don't know wich graphic card will be on it and, obviously, they will not be very "portable".....

What do you think?¿?

--
Orcrist

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I play wow on an external 1280*1024 screen with my MBP screen as 2nd with webbrowers etc. And it really runs great!

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Old thread I know, but I recently installed World of Warcraft on my MBP and it seems that the game is kind of choppy, my FPS stays above 20 everywhere, but my character (and others) chop around on the screen.. is there an option to improve this? I doesn't seem to make sense to me. When I play windoed (cmd+m) it doesn't do this, any suggestions?

Blacky

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Old thread I know, but I recently installed World of Warcraft on my MBP and it seems that the game is kind of choppy, my FPS stays above 20 everywhere, but my character (and others) chop around on the screen.. is there an option to improve this? I doesn't seem to make sense to me. When I play windoed (cmd+m) it doesn't do this, any suggestions?

I tested wow on my 2,4ghz mbp, I wanted to see how it ran before I reactivated my account for 6 months, framerates are good, more than sufficient, but what is up with the choppyness when walking?

Rotating around the character is supersmooth, framerates are more than ok, but walking in a straight line makes it feel like it's running @ 5-10fps.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
yeha i have also had a problem.. well i guess it's not a problem but the game stutters when i am walking/running. but funny thing is i am getting more then 30 fps up 40. it just seems like the back ground is a step or off. and stutters. :mad: i tried the above fix but it does not help. and this is on a new mbp 2.4

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
What I did to correct the 'choppy running' is simply play the game in windowed mode, but maximized. You can't tell the difference between the two other than if you move your mouse up to the top of your screen, you'll highlight your finder bar. After using windowedd mode for a few days now I actually prefer it because I can just hit my iChat and iTunes hotkeys and those apps will simply over-lay over my WoW.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
thanks.. yeah it is running soo much smoother in windowed mode. there has to be something wrong with the drivers and the new mbp. i hope it gets fixed soon.
thanks again

What I did to correct the 'choppy running' is simply play the game in windowed mode, but maximized. You can't tell the difference between the two other than if you move your mouse up to the top of your screen, you'll highlight your finder bar. After using windowedd mode for a few days now I actually prefer it because I can just hit my iChat and iTunes hotkeys and those apps will simply over-lay over my WoW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.