Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
check this

World’s Fastest Hackintosh Ever! 32/64 Core - Mac Pro Killer!

Not sure why she has 32/64 in title, leads me to think 32 core 64 threads but she shows 64 cores in System Profiler

but there’s no EPYC at 3.7ghz with 64 cores

So maybe it is a TR3 3970X (a $2000 CPU) and System Profiler she shows is incorrectly misrepresenting threads as cores?

wow, smokin

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Just curious why is this in the MacPro section? There is a section called
Alternatives to Mac Hardware

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Because this is hardware the Mac Pro should have been and or hardware in a Mac Pro most people wanted/expected to replace the 2009-2012 Mac Pro, instead Apple built a Mac Pro ultra expensive ultra niche machine the main market cannot afford....we Need a lower cost Mac Pro, this is the low cost hardware suitable for this Mac Pro and the Mac Pro for the rest of us.

maybe you missed all the threads here around the time the Mac Pro launched, support here comparing AMD CPU and describing Apples mis-step in using this Xeon base.

Reactions: Mactrunk

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Screw this lady trying to get money out of people to help them build their hack sharpen she got the information for free

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Keep your emotions in check, this is about raw hardware performance got a comment about that, if not delete the useless opinionated OT BS.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
One more unrelated post to the forum pumping YouTube video views. :mad:

If people post unrelated threads here, that never should be posted anyway, you shouldn't do the same.

There is a lot of good content on youtube and most of it, good or bad is worth the discussion. I followed this video step-by-step to easily setup an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 5700xt Hackintosh with Open Core 0.5.6 on 10.15.4.

Morgonaut supports the MacPro 7,1 and Hackintosh alike and deserves credit for building a youtube subscriber base as an advanced mac user. IMO.. Any of her video's would be worth the discussion. After all they are usually pro related.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
There is a lot of good content on youtube and most of it, good or bad is worth the discussion. I followed this video step-by-step to easily setup an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 5700xt Hackintosh with Open Core 0.5.6 on 10.15.4.

Morgonaut supports the MacPro 7,1 and Hackintosh alike and deserves credit for building a youtube subscriber base as an advanced mac user. IMO.. Any of her video's would be worth the discussion. After all they are usually pro related.

I just watched that video you linked. Looks super easy. Want to try that with 3950x x470 mobo machine. You having any issues?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Pretty impressive how fast that thing is. The Cinebench demo is amazing. Over 5x faster than my new overclocked 9700K. At least mine is faster at single core benchmarks, lol (which for me is probably more important).

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Thanks, going to give it a try.

If you are going with a x470 VS x570 chipset, you may need to use iasl-win to generate a new Open Core resource EFI/OC/ACPISSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml that supports the x470 chipset.

These two videos cover more steps , from techTunerLife and TechNolli are a bit more in depth and may cover the setup of that file.

Don't skip the UEFI setup portion of the video. MacOS has some dependencies in UEFI that also have to be met and depending on your motherboard, it may not be as described. For example, the Gigabyte x570 aorus pro wifi needs to have CSM enabled with CSM options for legacy and UEFI set to UEFI. Even though the guide says to have it disabled, in my case, turning it completely off prevents macOS from booting.

Your 3950x should easily come in ahead of my 3900x in Geekbench. Without any overclocking, I'm already faster than a 7,1 12-core. Hopefully your x470 will beat out the 7,1 16 core.

drag4-1-2020.58.54.png

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I scanned through this, so maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where she did any video tests. Part of the reason the new Mac Pro is expensive is that it is designed to support both power and cooling for very powerful video cards. Also contributing to the Mac Pro's expense is that its configured for ECC RAM, not sure if her's is. Finally, these are all synthetic benchmarks. I don't think she can claim "most powerful" with the certainty she does until she adds some real-world benchmarks.

Reactions: russell_314

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I scanned through this, so maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where she did any video tests. Part of the reason the new Mac Pro is expensive is that it is designed to support both power and cooling for very powerful video cards. Also contributing to the Mac Pro's expense is that its configured for ECC RAM, not sure if her's is. Finally, these are all synthetic benchmarks. I don't think she can claim "most powerful" with the certainty she does until she adds some real-world benchmarks.

you can't get ECC RAM on Threadripper

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
you can't get ECC RAM on Threadripper
If it doesn't support ECC RAM, that further suggests what she built is a consumer-grade machine, further supporting my general point that her comparison (in which she emphasizes the price difference) is (no pun intended) apples-to-oranges.

Having said that, this area is confusing. OTOH we have this, from https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3970x:
"Quad channel DDR4 with available ECC support for reliable throughput."

On the other hand we have this correspondence with AMD tech support...
...which seems to indicate that, while you can use ECC memory with Threadripper (and the right MOBO), its error correction is not utilized (this was the case with the old Power Mac G5). Unfortunately, this article is undated (a pet peeve of mine, when people write about technology and don't bother to clearly date their articles), so I don't know if its info. is current.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
check this

World’s Fastest Hackintosh Ever! 32/64 Core - Mac Pro Killer!

Not sure why she has 32/64 in title, leads me to think 32 core 64 threads but she shows 64 cores in System Profiler

but there’s no EPYC at 3.7ghz with 64 cores

So maybe it is a TR3 3970X (a $2000 CPU) and System Profiler she shows is incorrectly misrepresenting threads as cores?

wow, smokin

Fair play to her. She's leading the mac performance curve.

Apple? :p

What I like is she covers all topics from compatible bluetooth/wireless, dual boot, intel vs amd, value, benchmarks, virtualisation and the range of components with some good stuff on gpus.

Both her and Snazzylabs have been showing alternatives to Apple's rigid mantra.

Azrael.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
semantics really, there's no boards with it...
Not semantics at all. If the AMD CPUs do in fact support ECC RAM, then what you wrote ("you can't get ECC RAM on Threadripper") is incorrect, plain and simple, regardless of what MOBO is needed (particularly given that ECC-capable MOBOs are available). Claiming it's semantics only serves to obscure this.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Not semantics at all. If the AMD CPUs do in fact support ECC RAM, then what you wrote ("you can't get ECC RAM on Threadripper") is incorrect, plain and simple, regardless of what MOBO is needed (particularly given that ECC-capable MOBOs are available). Claiming it's semantics only serves to obscure this.

I don't mind being wrong, but there's no motherboards that utilise ECC RAM from what I've read, EPYC there are boards available, but not Threadripper

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Working on mine at the moment. It should be done fairly soon today.
3900X, X570Micro, 32GB RAM, Radeon VII, 2TB Auros gen4 nVMe.
I have the Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth PCIE card but it is at the office. If everything boots up and runs well I may need to see if I can get my wife to rummage through my shelves to find it. ;)
I do have some DDR4 ECC RAM I could try.
It is just difficult, after this surgery, to move this machine around, remove that gigantic heatsink, a Noctua NH-D14, that covers the RAM. So some other time maybe.

But fingers crossed this one works great. It has been since the 7700K was a brand new chip that I've dabbled in Hackintoshes.

Reactions: handheldgames

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Everything seems to be working, fairly solid (for the last 2 hours or so) zero panics or issues.
iMessage, Mail, App Store, everything worked immediately at login just as if it were a brand new Mac being set up.
I do think I'll add the wifi and bluetooth card very soon so that will give unlock with watch, AirPods, airdrop, all of the other things.
Very impressed so far, a much easier process now than when I initially started with hackintoshes, and I held my breath at each reboot.
The nvme is quite a bit quicker than my iMac Pro drive ?
And in 'benchmark performance' it is pretty close to the iMac Pro 18 Core.
Now it has only been 2 hours and I have not put this thing through any type of workload but she's doing good so far.
That could definitely change in the next week or so, or day or so. We'll see.

**** And trying something I would have never done Pre-OpenCore. Push a macOS update as soon as it goes live.
Just wanted to try and see what happens.
It is currently updating to 10.15.5, showing approximately 4 minutes left. Didn't do anything outside of click update and sit back to see what happens.
This would have never worked "back in the day", you had to wait several days to weeks after an update to macOS before you could perform it yourself.

Screen Shot 1399-03-06 at 14.42.16.png

Screen Shot 1399-03-06 at 14.46.03.png

Screen Shot 1399-03-06 at 12.25.57.png

and updated straight to 10.15.5 with no issues.
Screen Shot 1399-03-06 at 15.21.49.png

I did come across one issue so far. DRM playback. AppleTV+, NetFlix did not work right away.
A couple changes to the config file and now that is back in business. 4K anything is working perfect now.

The only tiny issue I am wanting to take care of is the processor name in about this mac.
The older typical ways of changing the name isn't working at the moment.
For me, it is all the small little pieces adding up to make a finished product.

Last edited:
Reactions: handheldgames

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Everything seems to be working, fairly solid (for the last 2 hours or so) zero panics or issues.
iMessage, Mail, App Store, everything worked immediately at login just as if it were a brand new Mac being set up.
I do think I'll add the wifi and bluetooth card very soon so that will give unlock with watch, AirPods, airdrop, all of the other things.
Very impressed so far, a much easier process now than when I initially started with hackintoshes, and I held my breath at each reboot.
The nvme is quite a bit quicker than my iMac Pro drive ?
And in 'benchmark performance' it is pretty close to the iMac Pro 18 Core.
Now it has only been 2 hours and I have not put this thing through any type of workload but she's doing good so far.
That could definitely change in the next week or so, or day or so. We'll see.

**** And trying something I would have never done Pre-OpenCore. Push a macOS update as soon as it goes live.
Just wanted to try and see what happens.
It is currently updating to 10.15.5, showing approximately 4 minutes left. Didn't do anything outside of click update and sit back to see what happens.
This would have never worked "back in the day", you had to wait several days to weeks after an update to macOS before you could perform it yourself.

View attachment 918960

View attachment 918961

View attachment 918959

and updated straight to 10.15.5 with no issues.
View attachment 918989

I did come across one issue so far. DRM playback. AppleTV+, NetFlix did not work right away.
A couple changes to the config file and now that is back in business. 4K anything is working perfect now.

The only tiny issue I am wanting to take care of is the processor name in about this mac.
The older typical ways of changing the name isn't working at the moment.
For me, it is all the small little pieces adding up to make a finished product.

Thanks for the tip on 10.15.5 and sharing screenshots. Based on your CPU temps, I'm guessing that you are using the AMD Supplied Wraith RGB cooler? I have similar thermals and I'm using that one.

I went ahead with the upgrade last night and for the most part, it was uneventful. However...

After booting this morning and letting the mac sit on the login page for a period of time, I came back to a mac with a Num Lock / Caps Lock keys flashing, and non-responsive mouse. Unplugging / replugging the components did not change behavior and I was forced to reset the Ryzentosh for the 1st time. My only guess here is that the Mac attempted sleep from the login page and ran into the known Ryzen/x570 USB chipset issue / sleep issue. After the reset, the mac has been running stable for the past 8 hours.​

If you want to display motherboard information in AMD power tool, you can set config.plist: misc ->Security -> Expose SensitiveData -> 8

window5-28-2013.59.18.png

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Thanks for the tip on 10.15.5 and sharing screenshots. Based on your CPU temps, I'm guessing that you are using the AMD Supplied Wraith RGB cooler? I have similar thermals and I'm using that one.

I went ahead with the upgrade last night and for the most part, it was uneventful. However...

After booting this morning and letting the mac sit on the login page for a period of time, I came back to a mac with a Num Lock / Caps Lock keys flashing, and non-responsive mouse. Unplugging / replugging the components did not change behavior and I was forced to reset the Ryzentosh for the 1st time. My only guess here is that the Mac attempted sleep from the login page and ran into the known Ryzen/x570 USB chipset issue / sleep issue. After the reset, the mac has been running stable for the past 8 hours.​

If you want to display motherboard information in AMD power tool, you can set config.plist: misc ->Security -> Expose SensitiveData -> 8

I did the motherboard display info / so AMD Power Tool shows that.
I have tried a boatload of methods but still can not get the CPU Name / that I want to show up, show under About This Mac.
I think now more so, the fact that I haven't been able to fix that little thing is bugging me the most.

I am using a Noctua air cooler. A NH-D14.
It is very odd for the fact that the temperature swings have been all over the place.
I have used this CPU / Motherboard / Cooler under Windows, UnRaid, macOS. And it shows in Bios most of the time as idling in the 50's. In UnRaid idling in mid 30's. Windows, mid-30s.
I have a 280mm AIO water cooler I want to try on the 3900X but I did not have an AM4 adapter so that is on the way and should be in next week just for comparison.

My son-in-law bought a Ryzen 3600 and it didn't come with any cooler so I gave him the heatsink cooler that came with my setup so I've never tried the stock cooler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.