Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
I've been doing this for over a decade. Never seen anything this bad.

And it's BAD.

iCloud is a complete garbage fire. And everything that touches it is affected, including non seed machines, and causing major problems on devices running older OS versions.

I got Photos "uploading" 500gb from every damn device, for some dumb reason. Files not syncing. Mail all screwed up. Messages and Notes all wonky. Music is a glitch-fest. Rinse, repeat.

And now EVERYTHING has vanished from my iCloud Drive and Desktop. Poof!

Seriously. WTH?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I hate to be that guy... But isn't this why they say to only beta test on a test machine?

I do agree though, Catalina needs some serious help and if they want to ship it out by September 10th they better get off their asses and start fixing this OS.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
You probably shouldn’t play with beta software then. Let the techies do that.

Maybe I wasn't clear: I have a test machine…but since it shares iCloud services, the iCloud corruption is affecting non-test machines.
[doublepost=1567096572][/doublepost]
Do not deploy iOS betas on personal devices. It's in the T&C.

It's a test machine, dude. And I've always left iCloud on for testing, which is part of what we're supposed to test.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
If I recall correctly when I first installed Catalina (on an external drive) it asked to choose Y/N upgrade iCoud for syncing reminders etc. ( I selected "no") and also I noticed that Music has a sync option - see attached below

Good idea to check the affected areas like Photos, Music, Contacts, Calendars , keychain, before turning iCloud drive and the other areas in the Options Area like "Systems Preferences" ? Not sure why I would want to sync system preferences?

At any rate might be good to uncheck the "Music Library" sync option? Not sure how it affects other computers and those other libraries on prior OS's ?

music sync.png

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015

jaybarns

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2016
I've been doing this for over a decade. Never seen anything this bad.

And it's BAD.

iCloud is a complete garbage fire. And everything that touches it is affected, including non seed machines, and causing major problems on devices running older OS versions.

I got Photos "uploading" 500gb from every damn device, for some dumb reason. Files not syncing. Mail all screwed up. Messages and Notes all wonky. Music is a glitch-fest. Rinse, repeat.

And now EVERYTHING has vanished from my iCloud Drive and Desktop. Poof!

Seriously. WTH?
Going to iCloud.com, all of my folders are messed up right now. However when I launch the corresponding apps (PDF Expert, Scanner Pro), both on iOS 13 and Catalina, the files are in the proper iCloud storage folders. Possibly Apple is having a server issue today that they're working on getting fixed. iCloud mail did have an issue today that apple acknowledged, possibly that wasn't the end of their problems.

idck_cn

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
Moscow Kremlin
Over decade then, you should've know about these. If you don't. Keep complaining might really not help.

buildNumber:"1915Project35"
masteringNumber:"1915B65"

Reactions: green86

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Maybe I wasn't clear: I have a test machine…but since it shares iCloud services, the iCloud corruption is affecting non-test machines.
[doublepost=1567096572][/doublepost]

It's a test machine, dude. And I've always left iCloud on for testing, which is part of what we're supposed to test.

Test machine means your data isn’t at risk. iCloud is your data. It’s simple as heck to have a test Apple ID and iCloud just for that. Don’t go beta unless you know the risks? And then you complain how beta it is...lol.

Just consider it a lesson learned. You screwed up.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
iCloud sync is serious broken on one of my machines. So far it has not impacted Mojave boot on this machines and others.
Toggling iCloud off and on does not solve it.

Show stopper.

Reactions: Rivvvers

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with retta.
I DO NOT USE and have no faith in "the cloud".

Having said that, I've found that the Catalina betas have improved with each successive release.
I now have Catalina running fast and smooth on an external 120gb SSD which is where it will always run from with my 2018 Mac Mini.

Aside:
This Mini will FOREVER have Mojave as the internal boot OS, because I have a considerable library of 32 bit software (which will not be updated) that I have no intention of abandoning.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I've got it on a dual (well triple actually if you count Windows) boot on my Mac Pro and I haven't any problems. I don't use iCloud for anything other than email and syncing browser settings.

Reactions: crjackson2134

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It's related to the mess that is iCloud Drive currently, but Text Shortcuts don't sync between my phone and laptop.

Text Shortcut syncing has been a problem for YEARS and I've never understood why Apple can't get what should be a simple text file syncing in the cloud. It does help to explain why anything related to iCloud is hard for them to get right; they're probably over-complicating everything.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
I agree with retta.
I DO NOT USE and have no faith in "the cloud".

Having said that, I've found that the Catalina betas have improved with each successive release.
I now have Catalina running fast and smooth on an external 120gb SSD which is where it will always run from with my 2018 Mac Mini.

Aside:
This Mini will FOREVER have Mojave as the internal boot OS, because I have a considerable library of 32 bit software (which will not be updated) that I have no intention of abandoning.
Pretty much as I run a dedicated Snow Leopard server for all the PowerPC software. :D

BTW, Catalina is a complete mess and utter ***** as of today, I’ve even removed it from my test machine because it was unusable.

Reactions: Rivvvers

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
OP never said "betas can't have bugs." He's simply saying that out of all betas in human history, Catalina is the worst of them all.

AND I SO CONCUR

iCloud Drive and Mail, especially, are royally ****ed up on both iOS and macOS.

I have turned off iCloud Drive on macOS until public release and only use it on the web in the meantime.

Mail is so broken, it feels like it was built by a fetus.

Catalina and iOS 13 don't deserve the beta designation; it's an alpha at best. Nor should they have ever released public betas.

Just horrible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.