Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You say so because of the goofy way Apple shows shipping times, because of long or misrouted deliveries, or both? Either way, I feel for you - I've experienced these things myself.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
You say so because of the goofy way Apple shows shipping times, because of long or misrouted deliveries, or both? Either way, I feel for you - I've experienced these things myself.

Both. And FedEx's horrid customer service. And complete inability to, you know, DELIVER PACKAGES.

Seriously, with the volume that Apple is doing with iPods alon you'd think that UPS would be practically blowing Steve to get this contract. Or hell, use USPS. They are vastly superior to FedEx and cheaper to boot. Apple could probably single handidly prop up the Postal Service for the rest of the decade at least.

My other big beef with FedEx is how terrible their tracking system is. I don't even think it's the software/systems fault. I think it's just sloppy workers. The trouble is that it will show up when it gets somewhere, but never leave there. Then it gets somewhere else and it will all of a sudden register that if, well, it's now HERE, it must not be THERE anymore. I'm assuming they aren't scanning stuff as it leaves, just when it gets there, which sort of defeats the purpose of an online tracking service like that. UPS seems to be able to get it right...

purplelizzard

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2007
FedEx is an abomination. It delivered our new iMac 2 Months late. I was about to hunt down the truck.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Best thing about Apple, they shipped me the Cables for my :apple: TV early, but they were the wrong ones, and now I get the new ones, and keep the wrong ones...woot!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I get the impression that which courier is best for a given person depends on where they live... But where I love, FedEx is vastly better than UPS.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I get the impression that which courier is best for a given person depends on where they live... But where I love, FedEx is vastly better than UPS.

They are both decent where I am, but I'm pretty close to Indianapolis, which is where all their shipments first go from China. Everything gets here a little on the early side.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
They are both decent where I am, but I'm pretty close to Indianapolis, which is where all their shipments first go from China. Everything gets here a little on the early side.

When I get things from UPS, the contents of the box usually arent broken, but the box is pretty much always trashed. Also, they'll make their 3 delivery attempts, and if I miss them, I have to drive to a UPS facility which is almost an hour away, and then wait 30 minutes for them to bring the package from the warehouse to the pickup facility.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Hehe, ya delivery service is definitely dependent on your location, but my experience with FedEx on a national scale (ie calling their 800 number) has also been as bad as their local delivery.

USPS seems pretty consistently decent. I tend to use USPS whenever I ship anything.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hehe, ya delivery service is definitely dependent on your location, but my experience with FedEx on a national scale (ie calling their 800 number) has also been as bad as their local delivery.

USPS seems pretty consistently decent. I tend to use USPS whenever I ship anything.

Have you ever had to call the USPS to try to get information about a missing package? My experiences with them make FedEx look like the ultimate customer service company...

bbergie

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2006
Calgary
I've puchased many items from the online Apple Store, and I've never experienced any problems at all with shipping. Mostly, it's been FedEx, but sometimes I've received my order from Same-day-right-away, which, now that I think about it, must be the courrier in Canada when the "regular shipping" is selected.

I was most impressed with Apple and FedEx, however, about a year ago. I ordered my Apple Cinema Display around midday, and it arrived from Cuppertino, Calif. to my office in Edmonton, Alberta, the next day. That was unexpected but most definitely welcome. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

I've also had much better luck with FedEx overall than any other but they've done some silly stuff such as leaving a box with full description and illustration out in the open without knocking. Nevermind the company doing marketing with their boxes. Yeesh. DHL in this area can't even be bothered with 2nd day air. If they don't have time, they report that no one was home.

Have you ever had to call the USPS to try to get information about a missing package? My experiences with them make FedEx look like the ultimate customer service company...

USPS has gotten better as almost no one trusts them anymore but they still seem the worst. Of course, if you want it there quickly, there is no guarantee and often, you can send something first class and it will arrive prior to something else that you send overnight to the same address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.