Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is the worst version?

• Total voters

Mraccountname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2017
iOS 11 is the worst for me. It's amazing to think that April will be the first month it has gone without an update.

Last edited:

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012

If there were an, “Other - please comment” option, I’d have voted that.

My answer is every version since iOS 7.

I’ve always said it’s just too bright for my personal tastes and I’m disappointed in Apple for never having implemented a system wide Dark Mode for those that want it.

Would be much easier on the eyes.

(And before anyone says it, even the recently slightly improved Smart Invert is not a Dark Mode)

—-

Edit: By far the best thing about iOS for me is the regular security updates, no other cell/mobile phone operating system can compete with this important aspect.

Mraccountname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2017
If there were an, “Other - please comment” option, I’d have voted that.

My answer is every version since iOS 7.

I’ve always said it’s just too bright for my personal tastes and I’m disappointed in Apple for never having implemented a system wide Dark Mode for those that want it.

Would be much easier on the eyes.

(And before anyone says it, even the recently slightly improved Smart Invert is not a Dark Mode)
Added.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
iOS 11 has been the worst iOS experience I have ever had. I’ve never had so many UI glitches in Safari and Apple Music and crashes that result the springboard being restarted.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
iOS 11 has been the worst iOS experience I have ever had. I’ve never had so many UI glitches in Safari and Apple Music and crashes that result the springboard being restarted.

Strange... I haven’t experienced any problems yet. Not doubting your experience. But I can’t say that I’ve observed any problems yet.

Reactions: -BigMac-

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yes, because you can’t make more than ten entries. If you know how to get more than 10, then go ahead, tell me.
[doublepost=1524353245][/doublepost]
I can make a post of anything I want. I don’t care if others care or not nor the fact other people have made a post just like this.

Sure thing.....

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Absolutely no doubt in my mind on this. iOS 11 is not just the worst iOS but one of the worst operating systems I have ever used. Windows Vista would be a close second.It would be a tie with Android Lollipop.

Last edited:

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
I must be doing something ‘wrong’, I upgrade almost immediately and I don’t recognise any issues.

Reactions: simonsi

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Aside from its flaws [improvements iOS 7 made like implementing control center, and swipe to close apps instead of clicking down on the small X at the bottom], I enjoyed iOS 6 the most.

I feel iOS 7 was the worst because off consistency with its versions features, battery drain, and I noted a ton of instability with it. Back in HS, we had loaner iPad 2's. Out of all the HS schools who updated our iPads to iOS 7 (All 300 of us aside from at least 10 holdouts) Before 7.1, We'd have at least 10 people's iPads freeze during our 30 person class. Mine would freeze at least 3 times a day during a 8 hour period.

When it came to battery life, iOS 7.0 added by default parallax wallpaper, background app refresh both of with I noticed significantly decreased battery life.

Then there was the problems with parallax. First, it messed up wallpapers to the point where whatever wallpaper you set, it zoomed in significantly [got to the point where people made 3rd party fixes]. Also at the first public release, Reduced Motion just disabled the parallax wallpaper. Later on, (something like iOS update 7.0.4) changed reduced motion to disable both parallax AND animations. Thankfully later, you could disable parallax when setting wallpaper (did not disable it completely though)

Edit: thanks to IOS 7, once my 4S died, I switched to Android and, when my old iPod was declared a total loss, I went out of my way to find a good old 64gb iPod Touch 4th gen

Reactions: Feyl

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Would have said IOS 7 but 11 is the one with the most issues when it comes to programming new applications so that's why it got my vote. Hopefully they get the stability under control in 12.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
7 for me, only because it was a tough transition. It needed to happen though as the pre-iOS 7 versions were extremely dated, looked terrible, and had many more bugs than I recall in recent years. I have been very happy with iOS 8-11.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
iPhone OS 1 is the worst one ever.
No App Store, No Copy & Paste, No MMS messaging, No Video Recording. No wireless backup. No home screen wallpapers (you could change the lock screen but that was it).
No multitasking (Though some will debate it still doesn't have "true" multitasking, you could only listen to music in the background in iOS 1)
Notes used that awful Marker Felt font.

Reactions: gigapocket1

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2015
I voted 7, although I could easily go 6 or 8. I started using iOS in early 2012, so that was ... 5, still, I think? I liked every version at the time, but in retrospect 5-8 really lacked functionality for me. I also went for 7 because while I don’t mind flat so much, I do think there’s too much white and they really shouldn’t have had to add all the accessibility options to compensate.

By contrast I LOVE ios 11 and I’m excited for 13 as it sounds that 12 will be very much a consolidation release. I’m a heavy iPP user and a relatively light iPhone user, so perhaps that’s why. I’ve had very few glitches on my iPad (in fact, I genuinely can’t think of one off the top of my head) and I’m a huge fan of the new workflows. My iPhone experience has been less good with iOS 11 as I’ve had glitches and unexpected shutdowns, but I think I’ve pinpointed that to having BT on all the time. When BT is off in settings, the 6s runs really well — and I remember similar issues on 9 & 10, so I can’t even be sure it’s an 11 problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.