Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Hi people,

need some advice. My bro gave me a Mac. Link below. Although on startup it just has a flashing folder with a question mark in it. Apparently means HD is corrupt.

is it fixable and is it worth fixing if I upgrade the ram. Just for emails, word processing and internet use.

many thanks

levko123

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
1) Is El Capitan (macOS 10.11) sufficient for your needs? This is the last officially supported OS on this particular model. If it is, or if you feel like attempting to install a newer os (by using a patcher) go to the next question
2) Are you confortable with opening the mac and servicing it yourself? her is a video on how to chang the Harddrive https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/KITIM05HE250/ if you are willing to take the risk of buying a drive and doing the instal, it will probably be worth the 200$, if only to have a working mac.
3) if it works, great! Verify if the ram currently installed is sufficient. if not, verify what capacity you have currently, and access the possibility of installing additional RAM (another 50-100$, assuming it is necessary and works)
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/5300DDR2S6GP/

Reactions: Chopper read

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
As Levko says, to fix is likely to cost some money, as much as $300. For that you will have a 13 year old computer which is going to feel slow, especially when web browsing because web sites have grown more complex as the years have gone on and expanded to fit what designers consider the available hardware (much more recent than what you have). I see this on my 2006 Mac Pro (Keep for archive purposes, never would be a daily use machine now).

So the question is, what can that $300 get you used. Looking on Craigslist in my area i see a number of newer macs (2012 time frame), iPads with keyboards (used), etc.

So the question comes down to how you want to spend your money. Are you likely to get any satisfaction (fun) from pulling apart your brother’s old computer and fixing it? Maybe thats worth the price to you. Keep in mind, you dont know if that is the only problem it has (though likely), so you might invest money and end up empty handed.

For me, the answer to your question would be ‘no.’ Not with it. I would look into other ways to spend that money.

Reactions: Chopper read

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Thanks both for your replies. It’s exactly what I wanted to know. I’d probably rather buy a second hand Mac mini and monitor. It’s a workshop computer so doesn’t need to be amazing but does need to be quick enough for websites, pages, Email etc.
I’ll remove the HD and put it on eBay as spares/ repair I think.
Thanks guys ?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Just spend $50 for a decent SSD (256GB) and you have a working iMac for workshop jobs.
You can balance that with the money spent to buy a Mac mini + monitor.
Where does the $300 arise from? I don't understand your guys' estimation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.