Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
14 pages of thinking here lol.

Right? I know that. Definitely insane. But the price drop on the upgrade has me torn, so I just thought I’d ask. I know better deals might come out, but they often require a new line of service, and I‘m definitely not doing that.

I think I’ll just stick with my SE2, wait for the 12 details, and see what happens with the 11 pro pricing after that.

Reactions: JM

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Is it the Next upgrade deal for 64GB @ $23.33 / month? (Equals to $700).

IDK - mine just showed $300 off on an upgrade, so you pay the 33 whatever a month and get a $10 credit. It would be about 23/month, yes. IDK if it was called a Next deal when I saw it though.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
IDK - mine just showed $300 off on an upgrade, so you pay the 33 whatever a month and get a $10 credit. It would be about 23/month, yes. IDK if it was called a Next deal when I saw it though.
I’d get the iPhone 11 Pro since you’re getting an upgrade Deal. Apple will surely cut the phone from its line up and you won’t have a 5.8 inch option anymore. It will be the last of the Mohicans(11 pro)

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
700 dls for 64 gb in 2020? No thank you.

Wait for the 12s or get another SE2, if you “love it” is the easy option, get the same phone.

The 11P deals are going to pop up once the 12s are here.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Save your $$. Evaluate after the new phones are released. Then make the wisest decision and get a Samsung. Live a little :)

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
700 dls for 64 gb in 2020? No thank you.

Wait for the 12s or get another SE2, if you “love it” is the easy option, get the same phone.

The 11P deals are going to pop up once the 12s are here.

If the rumours are correct apple won’t sell the 5.8” 11 pro anymore, so will only be retailers off loading what’s left, or eBay etc used.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I say go for it. That way we will be certain to get a "That 5.4" iPhone 12 sure looks like the phone I been wanting all along. Should I get it?", thread. 😉

Seriously, you've had 'em all and weighed all the pros and cons. You made a decision on that after a lengthy trial period of using multiple different devices. Your decision after that should be good enough. Don't let some carrier deal try to lead you somewhere you don't need to go. And certainly don't ask others if it's "worth getting pro for $300 off". Only you know whether it's worth it to you or not. Also, at $300 off, it's still $300 more than the SE. Nobody but you knows if it's worth that extra $300.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I say go for it. That way we will be certain to get a "That 5.4" iPhone 12 sure looks like the phone I been wanting all along. Should I get it?", thread.

Seriously, you've had 'em all and weighed all the pros and cons. You made a decision on that after a lengthy trial period of using multiple different devices. Your decision after that should be good enough. Don't let some carrier deal try to lead you somewhere you don't need to go. And certainly don't ask others if it's "worth getting pro for $300 off". Only you know whether it's worth it to you or not. Also, at $300 off, it's still $300 more than the SE. Nobody but you knows if it's worth that extra $300.

From reading her posts she seems like she likes the 11 Pro except for the weight. What she didn’t like from what I’m getting is that the price of the 11 Pro isn’t justified but with the $300 off it’s more justified.

Reactions: 5105973

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I say go for it. That way we will be certain to get a "That 5.4" iPhone 12 sure looks like the phone I been wanting all along. Should I get it?", thread. ?

You’re right. I mean I didn’t really have what I’d call a lengthy trial period with the 11 pro - more like a couple days in which I was scared to use it too much because I didn’t have a case.

The thing is, I really did like the 11 pro because of the size - perfect middle ground between the 11 and the SE2. I just wouldn’t spend the money.

You’re also right about letting myself be tempted by a “deal.” I’m trying to get away from that mindset with the phones, and I’m perfectly happy with the SE.
[automerge]1599312300[/automerge]
Save your $$. Evaluate after the new phones are released. Then make the wisest decision and get a Samsung. Live a little :)

LOL pretty sure that isn’t gonna happen.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
The thing is, I really did like the 11 pro because of the size - perfect middle ground between the 11 and the SE2. I just wouldn’t spend the money.

Just to throw it in, I think the Xs is the perfect middle ground. Lighter than the Pro with the same size screen. I was looking forward to the 11 Pro but the Xs is so much more enojyable to hold and use throughout the day.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Just to throw it in, I think the Xs is the perfect middle ground. Lighter than the Pro with the same size screen. I was looking forward to the 11 Pro but the Xs is so much more enojyable to hold and use throughout the day.

You’re right. It really was a good size. My daughter had it though, and for whatever reason, the cellular on it wasn’t very good - not nearly as good as the XR at the time. Of course that could’ve been an issue just where we live with the bands or whatever. We have awful service anyway.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The Xs is a beautiful phone. I had an X, then an XS Max, but the pwm screen flicker on the generations before the 11 and 11 Pro are hard on people sensitive to it. They did something to fix that issue for some of us. Though there are still people unable to use any Apple OLED display.

Lol, I’m actually back on my 11 Pro to surf the web because my SE was giving me eye strain. Sheesh. I can’t freaking believe it. :rolleyes: I think I just need to tinker with some display settings. Oof this phone is heavy. I’ve got the Apple clear case and a pop socket on it.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
The Xs is a beautiful phone. I had an X, then an XS Max, but the pwm screen flicker on the generations before the 11 and 11 Pro are hard on people sensitive to it. They did something to fix that issue for some of us. Though there are still people unable to use any Apple OLED display.

Lol, I’m actually back on my 11 Pro to surf the web because my SE was giving me eye strain. Sheesh. I can’t freaking believe it. :rolleyes: I think I just need to tinker with some display settings. Oof this phone is heavy. I’ve got the Apple clear case and a pop socket on it.

It’s funny how much of a difference an ounce or two makes in a phone. It really shouldn’t, but it does.

• Love

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
You’re right. It really was a good size. My daughter had it though, and for whatever reason, the cellular on it wasn’t very good - not nearly as good as the XR at the time. Of course that could’ve been an issue just where we live with the bands or whatever. We have awful service anyway.

The XS Max gotten a lot better. Since Ive had the phone there has been a few modem updates. I used to have to restart my phone once a day because it would lose wifi, now its rock solid like the phones before it. I get better service now than before on both wifi and cellular I can actually max out rated speeds lol.. But I myself am probably going to sell my phone and either get the 11 Pro (Max?) or maybe one of the new 12s. But the thing about the 12s is that I know they will be expensive, which is why I didn't get an 11 of any flavour. Here it was about 65 bucks and and tax per month just for the 64GB 11PM, still had to have a plan lol.. made my eyes water a bit. But we have been able to save a ton of money and we bought a newer car (Santa Fe) so I don't have to be quite as frugal now that my **** box Montana went to the wrecker. It was my second one.. was still paying for the first one lol.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Please save your money. Hold onto the SE2 and see what the new iPhone's this holiday have to offer. Hold each one and try to text on each one too.

I've been through the upgrade cycles myself and to be honest, it's all a bit much upgrading each year. You'll get over the glamor of a new phone a week or two into the release and receiving the unit.

Reactions: ssledoux

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
The issue here is do I get an 11 pro for $300 off, or an SE2?

Get the SE2. At the end of the day I'd look at it like this… the SE2 will be the last of its kind with Touch ID and you can buy a Face ID iPhone any time you like. That's until, or if, Apple decides to go with an in-display fingerprint type.

Any SE3 in the future (2-3 years) will go into the 5.4" iPhone 12 body. It's surprising that no-one has noticed this where the 5.4" is purely to create a platform for the SE3 in the future rather than really being anything in it's own right. In the meantime it'll be about selling it at a premium to recover the tooling and manufacturing costs before the smaller platform is required for the smaller and/or cheaper iPhone. An iPhone 13 (or whatever it's called) at 5.4" probably won't exist where Apple will continue with the iPhone 12 in this size through to 2022 or more at which point it'll be replaced by an SE3.

Last edited:

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014

The same with the X as well. Kind of kicking myself for trading in my X for the 11 Pro, I guess since I didn’t realize it was going to be heavy and just assumed it’d be the same weight as the X. That was my favorite form factor as far as weight goes.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The same with the X as well. Kind of kicking myself for trading in my X for the 11 Pro, I guess since I didn’t realize it was going to be heavy and just assumed it’d be the same weight as the X. That was my favorite form factor as far as weight goes.
It’s been so long since I had the X and I didn’t keep it for very long due to headaches from the screen. Is the difference that noticeable?!!! Wow.

My SE display has possibly had a weird effect on my vision. I’m getting kind of a white shimmery haze at the periphery of my vision on days I was doing a lot of emails and surfing on it. I get the same problem on my Nintendo Switch display.

I’m not getting that problem on my 11Pro. Agh but my Pro is cramping my hand. I’ve got a pop socket which may be adding some weight. I am going to put on my Apple Silicone case. And if that doesn’t help I may spring for a Loopy case and see if that helps. This phone is so chonk. I appreciate the battery life though.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I just walked the dog 5km’s with the 11 pro in my back pocket in a leather case, one reason I could use a lighter phone. Doesn’t worry me holding it as I am not that addicted to it, I use my iPad 11 pro more.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I just walked the dog 5km’s with the 11 pro in my back pocket in a leather case, one reason I could use a lighter phone. Doesn’t worry me holding it as I am not that addicted to it, I use my iPad 11 pro more.

That’s the issue with me when I had the 11 Pro. First it was barely pocketable in a case, 2nd when I would walk the dog and someone text me it wasn’t very comfortable using 1 handed.

With the SE it’s comfortably pocketable with a case and I can whip it out and use it 1 handed with no issues.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm on the upgrade program and upgrade every year. When I went from X to XS to be honest I barely noticed a difference. That was not the case going from XS to 11 Pro. The 11 Pro battery has been drastically better for me. Love the photos I get with the extra lens and night mode.

You couldn't pay me to go back to Touch ID, even with mask wearing.
[automerge]1599394900[/automerge]
That’s the issue with me when I had the 11 Pro. First it was barely pocketable in a case, 2nd when I would walk the dog and someone text me it wasn’t very comfortable using 1 handed.

With the SE it’s comfortably pocketable with a case and I can whip it out and use it 1 handed with no issues.

That is one thing I miss about smaller phones. It's so awkward trying to use an 11 Pro with one hand sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.