Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
ftaok said:
However, if you get a recent enough iBook with a bad logic board, you could theoretically qualify for a replacement. At the very least, you'd get a new logic board.

Apple's recall for the logic board calls for three years from first purchase. So if you make the following 2 assumptions, you would still be qualified.

1. The iBook has a SN that falls in the range.
2. The iBook was first purchased on the day that it was introduced.

With those assumptions made, all G3/900mhz iBooks are covered. Also, the G3/800/CD model iBook would be covered as well.

If you disregard assumption 2, many 700 and 800 mhz iBooks may also be covered.

I'm guessing that iBooks that can still qualify are still selling for higher prices. As soon as the iBook doesn't qualify, I bet the price drops.

ft

If this is going to be a first mac for someone, I'd rather our computer of choice not look dysfunctional to them... Also, it's a pain in the butt to deal with (logic board replacement), which is a cost in itself... Honestly I'd say save up a little more and get a G4...

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Yeah, if i get one for her, i'll probably end up getting a G4.

And..... she already likes our computer's of choice, she keeps trying to steal my PB!

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
BiikeMike said:
well, this is above the spending limit, I REALLY want to keep it under $500. I know thats asking a lot, but I don't have a lot of money, and I want to get her somthing she'll really enjoy and get practical use out of instead of some jewlery she'll wear once a year!

No ! I disagree that that is asking a lot, not at all. For your purposes a G3 700mhz should be OK and way less than $500. HOWEVER I suspect you might do better in PC land, not sure though.

I have one (the dual USB, I think 700mhz) which I got when it came out. I use it for just that, internet browsing and email, there is nothing else you could really do. It is slow though especially slow with OS 10.abc.
good luck

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
caccamolle said:
No ! I disagree that that is asking a lot, not at all. For your purposes a G3 700mhz should be OK and way less than $500. HOWEVER I suspect you might do better in PC land, not sure though.

I have one (the dual USB, I think 700mhz) which I got when it came out. I use it for just that, internet browsing and email, there is nothing else you could really do. It is slow though especially slow with OS 10.abc.
good luck

My G3 900 iBook is far from being slow with 10.4.x, maybe you just need to max out the RAM. My wife plays Sims 2 on it, i used to play Sim City 4, I used it mainly for my graduate studies, MS Office, Internet research, e-mail but its definatly capable of doing more than basic office and internet tasks. It still feels quicker than a lot of newer PC laptops ive been around.

Ed

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Ed H said:
My G3 900 iBook is far from being slow with 10.4.x, maybe you just need to max out the RAM. My wife plays Sims 2 on it, i used to play Sim City 4, I used it mainly for my graduate studies, MS Office, Internet research, e-mail but its definatly capable of doing more than basic office and internet tasks. It still feels quicker than a lot of newer PC laptops ive been around.

Ed

Wow, I wish that was good news !
My iBook is 700mhz, that I am afraid makes some difference, probably not small. I do have only 384k Ram, but while I considered going to 512 (the max) I wonder if it would be enough of an increase to make a difference.
I am also running 10.3.8 as I was afraid of chocking this guy if I installed Tiger.

Anyhow, as it is, it defintely is slow. But it workd and I still make good use of it.

Let me know if I am wrong though !

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
caccamolle said:
Wow, I wish that was good news !
My iBook is 700mhz, that I am afraid makes some difference, probably not small. I do have only 384k Ram, but while I considered going to 512 (the max) I wonder if it would be enough of an increase to make a difference.
I am also running 10.3.8 as I was afraid of chocking this guy if I installed Tiger.

Anyhow, as it is, it defintely is slow. But it workd and I still make good use of it.

Let me know if I am wrong though !
640 MB is the maximum on the iBook G3.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Ed H said:

Ed

A bit of perspective - my iBook of the exact same specs felt slow. Very very slow on 10.2.x, and faster but still slow on 10.3.x.

For basic stuff, sure it's a very viable machine. But I wouldn't recommend one under any circumstance unless it really is all you can afford. I benchmarked my G4 1GHz iBook with 768 MB against my G3 900 with 640 MB and it was 76% faster. Unless it's more than 76% more expensive, it's pretty clear which is the better buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.