Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
Background: I’ve had Powerbeats Pro since they released and am somewhat happy with them, but I’ve never been able to get that perfect fit that people say brings the sound quality to the next level. I also have Sony XM4s for in-house and airplane listening and LOVE those.

Question: I’m thinking of trying the 2nd gen AirPods Pro but I’ve seen the rumors that the case will be getting a USB-C upgrade at next month’s event. Is it worth it to wait to purchase? I’ll primarily be using MagSafe to charge them anyway but if there were minor spec bumps coming as well I’d be willing to wait.

Secondary question: how is the fit on the 2nd gen Pros? The OG EarPods never stayed put in my ear and I’d obviously like these to stay put while walking. Won’t be doing serious exercise with them in.

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
The problem with earphones is that fit is extremely subjective, even if Apple aims for the least common denominator. It isn’t like you can change your ears.

That aside, I can share my own subjective experiences.

I never had good luck with the OG EarPods as well, and I found out why: the cable. I could wear them fine when idle, but not when moving. The constantly dangling cable is also subject to gravity, even when I clip it to my shirt collar, but the OG AirPods never fell out.

The AirPod Pros are fundamentally different. They’re much closer in form factor to the $100 Apple In-Ear pair in that they rely on the friction created by the ear tips to stay in the ear openings. For most people, it works well enough. Key word: most.

One advantage the AirPods Pro has over the Powerbeats is that the lack of an ear hook means you have more leeway with fit. You can twist each side forward or back until you get the right fit. You can’t easily do that with the PBP.

For those who don’t have average ear openings, even despite trying all the included silicone tips, the next potential solution is third party ear tips. Comply and SpinFit are only two of numerous companies that create alternative foam tips or silicone tips, respectively.

If you have a first party online or offline Apple Store, you can trial the AirPods Pro and send them back if the fit is poor, or just trial them at the store in person. If you find a good fit, then it’s your call as to whether you want to wait or not.

Viridian5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2023
The problem with earphones is that fit is extremely subjective, even if Apple aims for the least common denominator. It isn’t like you can change your ears.

That aside, I can share my own subjective experiences.

I never had good luck with the OG EarPods as well, and I found out why: the cable. I could wear them fine when idle, but not when moving. The constantly dangling cable is also subject to gravity, even when I clip it to my shirt collar, but the OG AirPods never fell out.

The AirPod Pros are fundamentally different. They’re much closer in form factor to the $100 Apple In-Ear pair in that they rely on the friction created by the ear tips to stay in the ear openings. For most people, it works well enough. Key word: most.

One advantage the AirPods Pro has over the Powerbeats is that the lack of an ear hook means you have more leeway with fit. You can twist each side forward or back until you get the right fit. You can’t easily do that with the PBP.

For those who don’t have average ear openings, even despite trying all the included silicone tips, the next potential solution is third party ear tips. Comply and SpinFit are only two of numerous companies that create alternative foam tips or silicone tips, respectively.

If you have a first party online or offline Apple Store, you can trial the AirPods Pro and send them back if the fit is poor, or just trial them at the store in person. If you find a good fit, then it’s your call as to whether you want to wait or not.
I appreciate the response, thanks for the perspective. What are your thoughts about the rumored upgrade at the September event? Think it will include anything more than usb-c for the case?

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
Are we expecting Apple to upgrade the APP2 case to USB-C at the September event? I need to buy some new AirPods but with the September event a month away it seems stupid to do so now.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I bought the APP2 this week. Because when and if it gets updated in a month or two, they will be selling at MSRP and not the current prices of the APP2 so I'd rather get this one for less than pay 250 for one in a month or two, just to get USB-C on the case.

I got mine from Micro Center who sells them for $194.99 and I had a $25 coupon so ended up paying $169.99 which I find pretty good price for what I got.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I doubt they will change anything other than the switch to USB-C on the case. APP2 were only just released last year.

But i will still wait, because i refuse to buy a new device with lightning.

Reactions: Viridian5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.