Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freemandela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
tampa, fl
finally !!
i've been waiting for month for yhis new imac to come out and the 24" is good news since i have no tv...
some ?? araise though is it really worth the $250 extra for a 2,33 ghz ?
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo [Add $250]
what will the difference be...?

is there a big difference between those 2 cards nowing that i don't play but just watch movies ?
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM [Add $125]

i plan on kepping that "thing" for as long as my kids don't destroy it so i don't mind putting a bit more $ if it's worth it .
thanks

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
freemandela said:
finally !!
i've been waiting for month for yhis new imac to come out and the 24" is good news since i have no tv...
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

is there a big difference between those 2 cards nowing that i don't play but just watch movies ?

i plan on kepping that "thing" for as long as my kids don't destroy it so i don't mind putting a bit more $ if it's worth it .
thanks

I'd recommend staying away from the CPU upgrade. Given the needs you alluded to, I don't think it's worth $250. In fact, I doubt you would ever notice the difference.

You would be much better served putting that money towards the bigger hard drive. It is remarkable how quickly they can fill up through the years, especially nowadays with large media files. Of course, keeping the $250 in the bank isn't a bad idea either. :)

As for the graphics card, this is a tougher call, but I lean towards saying to go for the upgrade since more processing is being pushed to the GPU nowadays, and it helps future proof your computer much more than CPU upgrade.

With that said, if all you do is watch movies, not a big gamer, and your kids won't be, it could be safe to save the $120 there also. Between the two upgrades, you're talking about almost 400 dollars. Not a small chunk of change, especially if you are a casual Mac person.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
freemandela said:
finally !!
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

thanks

Put the money towards extra RAM instead. That's where you'll see a bigger difference.

whodges

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2006
I agree with BWhaler. I just ordered on with with upgraded HD and GPU. Those are upgrades that are not easliy done by the customer. While I do agree that more RAM is better in general, that can be easily upgraded later when RAM prices fall.

freemandela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
tampa, fl
thanks for the advise

i got 2 ext hard drives 120gb + 640gb = 760gb so i don't need more storage... so far and i'm really pleased with the FW800 finally coming to the imac...

i guessed the upgraded cpu was not really a priority and espcially with intel's cpu i should be able to replace it in a year or 2

i might go for more graphics, it's always a + considering the card is not replaceable

i might throw in more ram too aple's site being the cheappest so far (unless i'm wrong) 2*1gb for $158 (edu discount); crucial is more expensive for the moment

$2450 including the apple care .... looks like i'm going to have to work on w-e to pay for that....

i can't wait !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.