Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lionfleet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I just bought a Macbook Pro M3 Max (Base with 14 CPU cores/30 core GPU cores).
I'm upgrading from a M1 Max.

I haven't gotten the computer yet but I'm wondering if I jumped the gun with upgrading my Macbook Pro when I really didn't need to...

I'm curious what you guys think of my reasons for upgrading... and whether I should consider keeping or returning?
  1. I want to try to maximize re-sale value of my Macbook. I don't want it to get too old and depreciate TOO much. It seems like depreciation happens a lot between 2-3 years so if I wait more it might depreciate faster. (But it's possible that now that the 2023 Max has already come out that I'm past that point?)
  2. I got a killer deal from my University sale. I essentially got the Macbook Pro M3 Max (Base with 14 CPU cores/30 core GPU cores) for only $3026 compared to the normal retail of $3.7k with taxes.
  3. On my M1 Max my battery health shows "Service Recommended" so the battery dies sooner. Not a major issue as it still holds a charge just fine. It just might not last as long. A replacement would cost me $250.
  4. My M1 Max has a dead pixel and I don't think it'd get worse but something I worry about. I wouldn't replace the entire screen just for that but kind of a bummer.
  5. The M1 Max still performs amazing and I don't lack any speed but it's nice that that M3 Max has a 25-30% performance lift. I use my computer for basic video editing, photoshop, lightroom, tons of tabs, etc but I don't do any super advanced heavy work.
  6. I have the money to upgrade but I don't want to be frivolous and spend more than I need to by upgrading every 2 years or so. Maybe it's not worth maximizing resale value every 2 years and I should wait a little longer to upgrade to save money?
Any thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited:

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
if you had purchased Apple care, Apple would have covered the new screen and replaced the battery. I also got the 14" M3 Max 14/30 but im coming form a 16" M1 Pro and I wanted a smaller screen and more ram. I did editing tests and concluded that in your case, you dont need to upgrade and wont see any significant performance increases unless you use heavier plugins. The M1 Pro can edit just as smooth as the M2 Max, the difference comes when you load up tracking and plugins like flares etc. Even then, you can set it at best performance and get smooth playback regardless. If I had the M1 Max in the screen size I like, I wouldn't have upgraded. In your case if you know you may have to replace the screen and battery, maybe it's best to trade it in. I noticed my M3 Max drains battery faster than my 16" M1 Pro so Apple Care is a must in my opinion as that battery may go below 80% in 3 years like yours did. Or you can keep what you have and eventually replace the battery when it becomes necessary. It really depends what trade in offer you got.

If I was in your shoes and had a 14" M1 Max instead of the M1 Pro, I wouldn't have upgraded to M3 Max as I dont use blender or video games. FCPX will be updated to fully support the M chips and it may be even better but currently it runs smooth even with M1 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.