Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben-in-M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I need a new Mac Book Pro, and I want the old (2015, no touch bar) model, 15" 2.2 GHZ, 1TB capacity which I can get for about 2,300 at my local university tech store. That's about $100 off as opposed to apple's website educational pricing, and I would have to order today.

So I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until the end of the month, when all the sales are going on. Does anybody have experience with that in the past years, do retailers typically include apple, or specifically mpbs, in their sales, and might they be reduced enough to justify the wait? Might they even run out of the old models before the end on November?

Thanks for your advice,
Ben

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
The holidays include the best sales of the year. Yes, you should wait. Other retailers will still have them in stock.

Ben-in-M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Thanks! Was wondering because Apple somehow used to not participate in that kind of sales. But that might well have changed ...

Nick11Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
California
I need a new Mac Book Pro, and I want the old (2015, no touch bar) model, 15" 2.2 GHZ, 1TB capacity which I can get for about 2,300 at my local university tech store. That's about $100 off as opposed to apple's website educational pricing, and I would have to order today.

So I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until the end of the month, when all the sales are going on. Does anybody have experience with that in the past years, do retailers typically include apple, or specifically mpbs, in their sales, and might they be reduced enough to justify the wait? Might they even run out of the old models before the end on November?

Thanks for your advice,
Ben

Keep an eye online at Apple refurbished stock supplies too. Try and find out how quickly they're being sold so you don't miss out on what you're wanting to buy.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Pretty sure there has been a Black Friday sale on Apple Online Store in the past years. I think it's about -10% on Macs, iPads, some accessories and so on.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Last year, Apple didn't offer any kind of discount on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. A site like B&H or MacMall might have some good deals but they probably won't be much better than Apple's education discount.

Ben-in-M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything from Apple directly. If so then it would be B&H, BestBuy, Amazon or the likes. But if it's only $100 it wouldn't be worth waiting...
[doublepost=1478712975][/doublepost]@teidon Than'd be good, kinda unexpected.
[doublepost=1478713032][/doublepost]@teidon But that would also be a question of luck if or if not the model I want is included, correct?

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything from Apple directly. If so then it would be B&H, BestBuy, Amazon or the likes. But if it's only $100 it wouldn't be worth waiting...
[doublepost=1478712975][/doublepost]@teidon Than'd be good, kinda unexpected.
[doublepost=1478713032][/doublepost]@teidon But that would also be a question of luck if or if not the model I want is included, correct?
It's possible of course that Apple won't discount all models, especially the old ones. And also I doubt that you are going to get much more than 10% off from anywhere. For example in my country the education discount is -10%, so waiting until Black Friday would be pretty much pointless (unless of course it's possible to get both discounts, but I don't think that's going to happen).

Ben-in-M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
@teidon Actually, both discounts combined is what I'll be getting - about $100 educational, and another $100 sale.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I would consider waiting if I were you. I scored a fantastic Black Friday deal last year on my 15" Mid-2014 rMBP; it was only for a few hours, so you have to keep your eyes open.

m

Ben-in-M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Alright, I bought the one that I've got now available. I get it sooner, and no waiting in line.
Thanks everyone for helping!

Reactions: Nick11Mac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.