Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I like to scan news aggregator sites, and so I have Google News and also Apple News+ apps.

As we know, Google often competes with Apple for various apps - to be fair, it’s frequently Google being first, and then Apply trying to catch up or outdo them.

Unfortunately, I think Apple often fails IMHO - maps, mail, etc., - though opinions can certainly differ.

To me, Apple News+ is just such a case in point. Compared to Google News, it fails miserably (for me). Now, Google News has also deteriorated through the years, so it’s not as good as it once was, but dear lord, is Apple News+ an abysmal product!

First and foremost - I do not, and never will subscribe to any of the mags and/or newspapers Apple relentlessly flogs. Zero chance, period. Therefore, I find it very wearisome to see story after story with the little red “apple news+” label. I wish there was some setting that simply omits all stories with that label from being shown to me, because, again, I will *never* subscribe to any of them. For me, therefore, it merely pollutes the choices and I have to wade through to weed out stories with that label, and I still accidentally click on some and am confronted with that waste of time.

What is especially ridiculous, is that many times, the stories that are thus fenced off with the “apple News+” label, are freely available on Google News or other sources, thus making the whole thing even more pathetic.

The other issues compared to Google News, is that I find Apple News to be frequently old, beyond the first few scrolls - if you scroll down far enough, you’ll find stories that are weeks old, that keep persisting, I guess in an effort to bulk up the selections.

Also for some reason, I find the Apple News+ app less responsive than the Google News app - it often loads much more slowly.

In its favor though, Apple News+ graphical design is more aesthetically pleasing than the Google News presentation, although I suppose that might be a matter of taste.

To sum up, the user experience - for me - of Apple News+ and Google News has me leaving Apple News+ unused for weeks/months at a time. And again, the biggest problem are the endless fenced off “subscription only” stories which there is no way for me to deselect globally so I don’t have to wade through them (as again, I’ll *never* subscribe to any of ‘em).

But that’s just my take, and I’m sure others have differing impressions - what’s your take on Apple News+ - do you use it regularly? Do you like it? Do you wish for something different?

Reactions: colodane

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Outside of a few magazines I like reading during my free trial, Apple News is garbage. I can't stand the frequent ads.

In my opinion, using a RSS feeder is much better, as I don't deal with ads and I get to see just the sites I want to see.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
As a big Apple fan and somewhat of a news junkie, I was very excited when Apple News was announced.

My excitement only lasted a couple of days after seeing/using the actual product. A big letdown. Google News is still my main daily source. Think I still have the Apple News app installed on my iPhone, but only use it very occasionally when on a trip and getting bored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.