Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1GB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2021
Hey everyone, I was going to get a new iPhone but not sure how much storage I would need. I'm currently using a 64GB SAMSUNG a50 phone, it's been a year and a half and so far, I've used 47GB out of 64 most of it was from the apps I installed(24GB) and others like system files and Photos/Videos. Do you guys think 64GB would be enough for an iPhone?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If you use 47 GB on your old phone today, then 64 GB is likely not enough for the next few years. iOS can automatically unload apps that you haven't been using and compress photos that you haven't looked up, which slows things down a bit when these apps are used or you look at the photos, but saves space otherwise, but I'd think I'd go for 128GB. Note that you have the choice to either spend £50 more on an iPhone 11 with 128 GB, or £50 less on an iPhone XR with 128 GB.

Compressed photos means: If you look at one of your 10,000 photos that you haven't looked at in years, it first looks a bit rubbish and within a second or two looks good, because the high quality version is being downloaded automatically when you look at it. Unloaded apps mean: The app looks as if it was on your phone, all the data is there, but when you tap on it it must be downloaded from the internet first. That's Ok if you tend to download apps and then never use them, and the ones that you use won't get unloaded.

Reactions: Dopestar

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It may be ok to start out with but if you already use almost 50 on your current phone that’s unlikely to be much smaller once you have fully migrated to iPhone.

As storage cannot be upgraded later one may experience a case of buy cheap, buy twice.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
If you use 47 GB on your old phone today, then 64 GB is likely not enough for the next few years. . .

It may be ok to start out with but if you already use almost 50 on your current phone that’s unlikely to be much smaller once you have fully migrated to iPhone. . .

I agree, would recommend that you get 128GB. Difference in price is only $50, good investment.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
As expressed by others, you have options to choose from: subscribing to icloud storage and purchasing an iphone with double the memory.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
It’s not much more $ to get 128GB, I’d go with that as it sounds like you’ll need it.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Know thy data usage, one might say, and it sounds like you sort of do. I've been totally safe with a 64GB iPhone since the start of last decade. I'd only feel the need for more if I thought:

• The iPhone was my main device – more "main" than my computer – or
• I intended to shoot a lot of video and leave a lot of it on my iPhone rather than exporting it per-shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.