Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Having this feature on my iPhone makes me want it for my iPad. Constantly having to wake it to see the time or widget information has become annoying. Is this something others would like? Has there been any discussion of this as an iPad feature? I've not heard it mentioned.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Absolutely not if I have to pay for it. If it’s an option that you can turn off, maybe. I have an Apple Watch if I want to look at the time.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If current always on is anything to go by, you would not see widget information being updated often if at all. Also, some people say always on make them confused with whether device is on and unlocked or not sometimes. Plus it would be a battery hog too.
But, let’s see if Apple ever bother after the release of OLED iPad.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This is something I've never thought about before. (I don't have an iPhone.) But, I do not use a passcode on my iPad. So waking it up is easy, and it happens quickly, as I don't have to enter anything. Always on, nah! Always at the ready, yes, it is.

Reactions: leifp

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
Absolutely not. First thing I turned off on the iPhone. Even less use on an iPad. If they add the feature for those who want it and allow us to turn it off, no issue at all. (Or, in a change for Apple, allow those who want it to turn it on instead… 🤬)

Reactions: Jackbequickly

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
If current always on is anything to go by, you would not see widget information being updated often if at all. Also, some people say always on make them confused with whether device is on and unlocked or not sometimes. Plus it would be a battery hog too.
But, let’s see if Apple ever bother after the release of OLED iPad.
I'd like to be able to glance at it for the time and to see if I have notifications, like texts or others. A quick glance can tell me whether there's something to check or not. Now, I have to physically wake it to see this. When I'm working I often have the iPad on the Magic Keyboard next to me.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I prefer just a wake on motion (as in with proximity sensor).
I need this for in wall iPads lol

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'd like to be able to glance at it for the time and to see if I have notifications, like texts or others. A quick glance can tell me whether there's something to check or not. Now, I have to physically wake it to see this. When I'm working I often have the iPad on the Magic Keyboard next to me.
Well, if anything, iPad getting that always on feature would be years later after the OLED transition if said transition happens at all.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
No. Priority is battery life. Not everything has to be always on, even my workstation monitor doesn't stay on all day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.