Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm a light user. Going with the base 8GB RAM. If I get into any problems I'll just sell and upgrade the RAM. People shouldn't think of keeping stuff for 3, 5, 10 years. Things change. If 8GB Ram ain't working for you just sell and upgrade.

Reactions: macuros

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
No.
Cruising the internet (with lots of tabs open), streaming (including Zoom / Zoom-like meetings), document creation of all kinds, photo and video manipulation and multiple apps open and switching between - and nary a beachball here.

More RAM is always good, but unless you're planning on building games, go full Garageband in a music studio or are working for Pixar, I think 'regret' won't be an issue. Unless you consider the regret for paying for overkill - and realizing you'll not really recoup the expense when / if you eventually trade it in.

gino4lyfe94

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
I'm a light user. Going with the base 8GB RAM. If I get into any problems I'll just sell and upgrade the RAM. People shouldn't think of keeping stuff for 3, 5, 10 years. Things change. If 8GB Ram ain't working for you just sell and upgrade.
Any update? How is it running?

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I recently rewatched the original M1 introduction keynote from November 2020 and some of the early YouTube reviews of the first products using it. Several said this new System-on-a-Chip was a "paradigm shift" in CPU architecture that made previous benchmarks meaningless. The biggest problem with paradigm shifts is that often the users' understanding won't shift along with them. While I'm not necessarily defending 8GB/256GB as a reasonable standard in 2024, a minimum-spec Apple M CPU is far more capable than any Intel i5 or i7. My "base" 8GB/256GB M1 Mac Mini (used as my main computer) continues to be fast & responsive and still makes me happy every time I use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.