Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheardude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I know it will be an extra $10 in the bill for the 3G but if I were to upgrade from the iPhone I have now to the iPhone 3G in July, will the phone be extra money or will AT&T force me to pay an upgrade fee or will nothing happen?

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Nope, you just buy the phone, it is a little blurry whether they will use the upgrade to your current plan or renew your plan and you start the two years over. I've read it both ways, either way you walk in you pay the phone price and you are good to go.

pedroistheman

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2007
I find myself in the same position. I just sold my current (and only) iPhone for $190. I have heard the $199 price tag on the 3G is only after an AT&T rebate...So the question is, can I simply swap my simcard into the new 3g iphone? Since I'm already on an AT&T contract for my old iphone, do I qualify for the rebate? I have no intention of going behind ATT and using my old plan --- I will pay the extra $10 a month. I saw on apple.com that 3gs are shipping with a "sim card tool" so I won't have to use a paper clip anymore, so I hope this will work. oh yeah, and my sim card says 3G even though it came with the iphone so it must be compatable.:confused:

piecinitup

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Ok, it's kind of the same topic, hopefully someone could help me out on this, but I may have to wait till more details come out.

I switched to At&t when the iPhone first came out, just this past may I dropped it in water and that was it for that one. I called At&t since apple wouldn't help me out and found out about the "upgrade" i still had since I paid a premium for the iPhone. So here is my plan and question. I was thinking about using the upgrade on a At&t tilt or Treo 750. Saving around $250 - 300 off the retail price after the rebate. Then I would either use the phone I picked until July 11th and sell it, or buy one of these phones closer to the iPhone 3g release and sell it brand new basically getting an even bigger discount on the new iPhone. Do you think At&t will let me do this? Are there disadvantages to this plan that i'm not seeing? Thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.