Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Thinking of buying a new car that’s not equipped with wireless CarPlay. Given all the rumors that the iPhone plans to go portless in a not-so-distant future, would I regret this decision? Is there rumored info that provides insight on how Apple might address this issue for all the vehicles out there that used wired CarPlay only?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I think you'll be fine. The real rumor is that Apple was working on one premium portless model, not their entire line. Of course by the time you read it here, it was skewed to 'Apple is going totally portless and is doomed."

Last edited:
Reactions: jbachandouris

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I think you'll be fine. The real rumor is that Apple was working on one premium portless model, not their entire line. Of course by the time you read it here, it was skewed to 'Apple is going totally portless and is doomed."
I was thinking, that with the EU trying to force Apple, by legislation, to put USB-C on the iPhone, the portless iPhone may come sooner than expected. To spite them lol. Just my thoughts.

@OP, there are a lot of third party solutions to add wireless CarPlay via an adapter. I don’t use one because I prefer the no-nonsense speed and reliability of a wired connection. There’s a thread on it in this sub forum and its 7K+ posts deep now, in case you’re interested.

Reactions: Caliber26

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I actually bought a car with wireless carplay and guess what? I use wired carplay as the GM carplay implementation is trash. I hope its fixed before Apple switched to portless.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Not the most important thing in a car - wireless or wired. If buying a car and there was an option for wireless I probably would do that but again not the most important thing in a car for me.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Also note that inside the car GPS and cell access are attenuated. If you use maps and in general, the iPhone will suck juice like crazy. I like that it ends up charged up when I arrive at my desistination.
I have a Qi station in my car and they are also prone to problems. Cars bounce the iPhone off the sweet spot.

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
I would not base buying a car on not having wireless CarPlay.
That’s something that can always be added aftermarket.

Reactions: haralds

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Actually, I think CarPlay is a pretty important feature and I wouldn't buy a car without it, wireless or not. Turns out that wireless CarPlay is a significant step up in convenience over wired and, for me at least, is a must. I decided between the contenders in my last vehicle purchase based on wireless CarPlay availability. As with the original roll-out of wired CarPlay, I expect there to be issues and problems which will gradually be worked out with s/ware releases. As for adding wireless CarPlay after market I wouldn't count on getting that working properly any time soon. The integration with the vehicle software and hardware is just too deep for that to be easily done.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.