Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Many years ago I set up an Apple ID in the country I was living in. I created an iCloud email and have been using it ever since. Apple store, iTunes purchases etc. were managed using Gift Cards so I didn't have to put card information online.

I then moved continents and decided to open a new account in the new place so that I could get local apps (that weren't available on the other store) and continue paying for stuff with local Apple Gift cards, topping up the account as needed.

I tried "move countries" option but it wouldn't let me because I still had a few dollars in the account. So I just started from scratch.

So, my Apple Mail has started to play up because it's on the old account and my 5Gb limit is reached. I tried to tie my iCloud email address to the newer Apple ID but couldn't because of course the address is already in use (by me!).

It's getting to be a nuisance and there are times when the App Store or something else keep bringing up the old email address I created the first ID with.
For example, just subscribed to Apple One, appeared to go OK but when clicked "Done" a window came up saying it couldn't connect to Apple Media services (or something) and I had to fill in the password for my old Apple ID (even though I was in the store with the new one).

If you got this far, thanks and well done!

So, I would like to delete my old Apple ID but am worried it will take my iCloud email address with it. Plus I would have to repurchase some expensive apps, e.g. Final Cut Pro......

Does anyone have any idea of the best way to manage this? If so, would love to hear, and thanks!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.