Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I’m currently using an HDMI 2.0 cable. Would I benefit by upgrading to an HDMI 2.1 cable? As far as future proofing goes, I wonder if the next Apple TV hardware will take advantage of the HDMI 2.1 technology.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Hardware doesn't upgrade itself because you are using a better cable. In other words, unless the TV and the AppleTV were built with HDMI 2.1 spec ports, an HDMI 2.1 cable will revert to the spec that the ports support. So if they are HDMI 2.0 ports... it will drop to HDMI 2.0 spec even though it is an HDMI 2.1 cable.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
HDMI Types:

NameBandwidthEthernetHDMI Compliance
Standard5 GbpsOptional1.2a
High-Speed10 GbpsOptional1.4a
Premium High-Speed18 GbpsOptional2.0b
Ultra High-Speed48 GbpsOptional2.1

Each cable types are available with or without Ethernet. In practice, HDMI with Ethernet isn't embraced by most and I wouldn't bother with it unless the cost premium is next to nothing.

HDMI Wikipedia lists minimum bandwidth for various resolution, frame rates, and colorspace.

The short version is that Apple TV 4K is a HDMI 2.0b device, and while 4K Dolby Vision at 4:4:4 subsampling rate requires 24.06 Gbps for 48 frames per second or higher, it won't output anything beyond 18 Gbps.

My recommendation. If you are buying a new cable, I would pay the nominal price increase and buy ultra high-speed cable. They are only few bucks more. But if you already have premium high-speed cable, you are all set.

Reactions: oneMadRssn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.