Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Currently, I'm afraid of getting soap on AW when I'm washing my hands because I don't want the Oleophobic Coating to wear away pre-maturely. Anybody here know if liquid soap or bar soap would speed up the wearing away of the Oleophobic Coating on the AW screen?

Did an Internet search and found out definitely don't use any alcohol-based cleaner on the AW screen.

How do you clean your AW screen?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Soap will do nothing providing you rinse it off. Personally I use my tshirt or a micro fibre cloth

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I keep a microfiber cloth in the SUB and at my desk. Fingers are generally clean so I do not see that it has smudges that much. A quick wipe on the shirt and it looks like new. At the end of the day I get it a good wiped own front and back before it goes on the charger.

I try not to obsess on it too much. I used to hate to get a phone call on my iPhone when eating lunch and the watch helps because I can avoid it.

Out of all my iPhones this coating has been a non-issue. I can not see how it would be an issue on the watch either.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Over time the Oleophobic Coating will wear down/off no matter what you do, unless you never touch or wipe the crystal/glass. Soap will probably cause a small increases in the wear of the coating. However it would probably be minimal. Of course any solvent like isopropyl will dissolve the coating.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Currently, I'm afraid of getting soap on AW when I'm washing my hands because I don't want the Oleophobic Coating to wear away pre-maturely. Anybody here know if liquid soap or bar soap would speed up the wearing away of the Oleophobic Coating on the AW screen?

Did an Internet search and found out definitely don't use any alcohol-based cleaner on the AW screen.

How do you clean your AW screen?

Part of the coating on my watch scratched off which made it look like my sapphire screen had scratched which is absolutely appalling for a £600 device so I took it back. I hope you have the sport model.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Part of the coating on my watch scratched off which made it look like my sapphire screen had scratched which is absolutely appalling for a £600 device so I took it back. I hope you have the sport model.

The Sport (as well as iPhones and iPads) also has an Oleophobic coating. This can easily be 'fixed' by using isopropyl alcohol. In my opinion the Oleophobic coating is way over rated (and misunderstood too) anyway.

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
I mistakenly used alcohol on an oleophobic glass screen protector on my iPhone 6 and it's a night and day difference. No coating shows everything x4 for me. It's so bad I need to replace it. I won't use any chemicals from here on out on any coated device.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I mistakenly used alcohol on an oleophobic glass screen protector on my iPhone 6 and it's a night and day difference. No coating shows everything x4 for me. It's so bad I need to replace it. I won't use any chemicals from here on out on any coated device.

The Oleophobic Coating doesn't keep anything from showing. It just makes oil (and only oil) from fingerprints less likely to stick and easer to wipe off.

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
Would soap hasten the wearing away of Oleophobic Coating?

The Oleophobic Coating doesn't keep anything from showing. It just makes oil (and only oil) from fingerprints less likely to stick and easer to wipe off.

I agree. What I meant was before the alcohol wipe, I barely had any smudges (not smudge free), and they cleaned easily. Now I can't keep a clean face, it's always smeared, and prints "pile up"
iPhone after alcohol wipe
e6eddbd1fe8b46bf847956b7a3b7983e.jpg

iPad mini with coating
15b55496ed31592e9ad6dea65d406ba8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MaximizedAction
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.