Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I heard that if IBM's G5 processor is accepted (which apparently is closer to completion than Motorola's), it will be a "pentium oriented" design. It would have a 64bit pipeline instead of the current 128bit design with the velocity engine. It would reach high speeds, but one of mac's strongpoints is the ability to do more in one cycle, not pump out necessarily big "Gigga-hertz" ********. Other sources have claimed that the G5 would have a 128bit pipeline and reach the same speeds, but I did not catch who's design it would be based on (IBM or Motorola). I personally feel that if the first rumor is true, Apple would be taking a big step in the wrong direction (to the dark side of the Pentium 4 design). Any confirmations or refutes (I hope to have more of the latter)?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
That would be a big mistake

That would be a big mistake on apples part. Or atleast in my opinion. The problem is that only professionals and geeks like me know why Moterola porcessors are so much faster than the pentiums. When the general public sees a 1.2 gHz PIII and a 733 mHz G4.. they think that the PIII is faster. Apple does need to get the clock speeds up and Motorola has not delivered what they have been promising.

-evildead

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
New rumors that I have read about say that IBM's G5 processor would be a 64bit process, but IBM is apparently creating an "engine" like the "velocity engine" of Motorola's that would accelerate the processing to 128bits. I say go for IBM to create the next generation of processors because Motorola is losing ground in the stock market and isn't seeming to put Apple as a priority anymore. IBM has the resources and if they comply with Jobs' innovation, we may see more than ever before.

Macwizzard

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2001
Holladay, UT
IBM and Motorola work together on development of Power PC microprocessors. They use an entirely different architecture and technology than a pentium. If the G5 was pentium oriented, it wouldn't be a TRUE fifth generation Power PC chip.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
G5 Cool

Ship me one now. If ibm is going to a 64 bit processor then it would have to be a higher clock speed. Like a 1 ghz of coarse it would be simmilar to the new G4's...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.