Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lionfleet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Any idea if the top of the line Macbook Pro 16" unbinned M3 Max (16 core) would depreciate any faster than the binned 14 core version?

Or would it be relatively the same depreciation?

Just wondering as this affects my purchase decision. Ideally, I'd like to get something that depreciates slower.

Both the binned base 14 and unbinned 16 core could work. The 14 core seems more reasonable price-wise while the 16 core is a splurge but I could still do either if it makes sense.

I try to sell and upgrade my Macbooks every 2-3 years. I currently have a M1 Max.

Thanks everyone!

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Most used laptops are priced based on their base model. So, yes, any upgrade won't likely priced in when it is re-sold.

Reactions: opeter

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Generally the stock configurations of a MacBook (i.e. models that can be bought off the shelf at places like Best Buy) tend to be the best value. BTO machines are the ones that see the worst depreciation. Higher configurations do depreciate faster than lower, so the 14/30 might hold its value a bit better (though I doubt the difference will be dramatic). It’s a little harder to predict with M3 I think since the Max chip is such a massive jump over the M3 Pro and previous Max chips. The Max may hold its value a bit better this time around given that it has more than just extra GPU cores.

Ultimately, buy the computer you need. There are plenty of benchmarks out there now comparing the performance of the two chips. Are the gains from 2 P cores, 10 GPU cores, and 12 GB more RAM worth $500 for your work? If so, get the higher end. Otherwise, pocket the money and put it toward your next computer.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Depreciation is everywhere. My M1 Max fully loaded which cost me $7,000 back 2021 only gave me $4,000 in return when I sold it. Even a fully spec’d $55,000 2019 Mac Pro depreciation 80-90% and sells for $5,000 on Apple refurbished

From what I’ve seen over the years is the base models sell well on resale. These are the “not as expensive models” and what the vast majority of users buy.

Reactions: Queen6

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
Here is real data from a trade in I did last month. My M1 Max 32 core is valued at $300 more than base M1 Pro. Same SSD size, but the M1 Max 32 core also has 16 more GB of RAM.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
There's the best advice.

Particularly if you're selling every 2-3 years - will your workflow support a lower config? If so, get it.
I hate reselling, it stresses me out dealing with it and buyers, so I get a computer that will last me for 6-8 years.

I wish Apple would offer a Mac Upgrade Program or something. Makes it really easy for my iPhone.

If I did sell often, I would buy a lower spec for sure. Although my main issue with Apple Silicon is the memory lock-in. I definitely need more than 36GB, or else I would've been tempted to get the Pro chip because I think even that would last me 5-6.

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
I hate reselling, it stresses me out dealing with it and buyers, so I get a computer that will last me for 6-8 years.

I wish Apple would offer a Mac Upgrade Program or something. Makes it really easy for my iPhone.

If I did sell often, I would buy a lower spec for sure. Although my main issue with Apple Silicon is the memory lock-in. I definitely need more than 36GB, or else I would've been tempted to get the Pro chip because I think even that would last me 5-6.
Apple does trade in credit for Macs the same way they do for iPhones. You will always get more selling privately but there are some risks with that. You can also try selling on eBay but after fees and now the hassle of proving a loss on the sale to the IRS, I personally think the trade in is a good "upgrade" program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.