Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I'm getting a bit paranoid about a machine that I have my colleagues RDP into.

The server is running Windows 2003 with terminal services. Recently it's had to be reinstalled twice as it's been spyware infected. Each time if I can't go there to do it myself I have to pay £700 for the privilege of having a backup restored by the engineers on-site at the colo.

This problem is, as all Apple users undoubtedly know in the back of their minds, entirely down to the cluelessness of the users as opposed to the inferiority of the OS. It seems that no matter what I say, people who use this machine have been unable to make use of what little common sense they have and to resist clicking on links of dubious merit.

I use the server myself from time to time and it's not good to have the doubt that it could be infected.

What I'm considering is some sort of virtualisation solution, where I'd use an XServe in conjunction with Parallels or something along those lines, running a copy of WS2003 with TS. Every night, the server would reboot the VM WS2003 installation with the standard 'clean' VM image that it holds.

How practical is that to accomplish, how reliable would that be and how would you configure it? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.