Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Hello,

I'm eagerly waiting for the new larger iMacs to arrive and now using an M1 base model MacBook Air. On the other hand, I'm also looking at the local listings and yesterday night just found an iMac Pro base model (Vega 56/1TB SSD/32GB RAM) for 2250$. Is that price reasonable when you consider the high end 2020 5K iMac's performance? Ability to install Windows would also be beneficial for me.

My usage consists of Matlab, Office, DaVinci Resolve and web development stuff. (CSS, HTML, JS, Visual Studio Code). I'd like to play games too, mostly World of Warcraft, Kerbal Space Program, Europa Universalis, Transport Fever 2 etc.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Pretty good price. That model is still available from the Apple Refurb store for about $3,800.

The Vega 56 isn't a killer gaming card by modern standards, but should do the job for those games and for Resolve.

However, I think if you wanted an Intel-based iMac for the longer haul, you'd be better off with a high end 2020 5K. The newer Core i7-i9 and GPU options are better overall, and you can easily upgrade the RAM yourself. It would cost more than that iMac Pro, though.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
... It would cost more than that iMac Pro, though.
Yeah, like you said. A brand-new iMac will cost more than this and still iMac Pro is superior on some aspects like cooling system which I appreciate most, noise level, speakers, mic and webcam maybe. 32gb RAM should be sufficient for my usage during its lifetime.

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I would take the iMac Pro any day... it's a beast of a machine. That being said, I'm waiting on a new M1X iMac. That's a great price, but it's still a lot of money for an "old" Mac. This is a tough call. I don't think you can lose either way.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
…That's a great price, but it's still a lot of money for an "old" Mac. This is a tough call. I don't think you can lose either way.
This makes me think too ? and then I say at worst I can sell it for more than what I pay.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrazyKanuck

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Once the new iMacs (with M1X or M2 chips) are released, the value of the iMacPro is going to drop dramatically. So I wouldn't buy it with the intention of selling it in a year for more than you paid for it... cause it's not going to happen.

Heyitsjulian9

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2021
I'll give you $2300 for it... ;)
Hi! Hope it’s okay to say this in this forum but - Not sure if you are local to Los Angeles area but I am actually trying to sell my IMac Pro base model for $2200. Feel free to PM me if you are still looking! (Although realizing based on your handle perhaps you are based in Canada?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.