Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to to you all. My phone provider (Fido in Canada) has an iPhone 7 32g for 0$. Just pay taxes (43$) With a 2 year plan which I don't mind cause I'm with Fido since 1999 but right now I don't have a 2 year plan. Provider only gives me the service. I have a 6s 64g for which there's no way to know the percentage of the battery. Has been changed 2 years ago and still is at 98% never moves up or dow. Though Phone is perfect for my tiny needs. Fido has also Moto G 7 Play for the same 0$. Not a head banger but curious to know what you think about that.

Thanks and have a good as can be year

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Depends on the fine print of the deal (if it exists at all) and your immediate needs.

If this deal prevents a future upgrade subsidy, you may want to futureproof yourself with something a little more modern like the 8/X/XR/XS.

If there are no strings attached and this has no impact on future purchases or promotions in the next 12-24 months, then this will certainly address your immediate hardware need. But I wouldn’t look at it as much of an upgrade.

keep in mind you will lose some features such as storage memory and your headphone jack by going from 6 to 7.

7 is getting on up there in age. But it will make calls, text, and run most iOS stuff that you know and love. I myself ran a 6S for 5.5 years (and would have had gone longer) if it didn’t develop hardware issues. But the semi-subsidized (bill credits technically) carrier programs we have here made signing onto a 24 month commitment result in an incremental increase of my monthly bill like $6 more after all of the other discounts etc, so I skipped right past options to fix my 6S, similar free or near free iPhone 7/8 options, dirt cheap SE2020 options, XS deals, 11 deals, and went right for a 12 pro. YMMV of course. But a “free” 7 would have got me back on my feet as well if I couldn’t justify the other options. But would recommended checking if you have options for 8 or above that you can rationalize value with.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Also. Forget the android phone entirely IMO

THere are some great android phones, but they almost always lack the longevity of iPhones, as your long running 6s is a testament.

Reactions: na1577

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It's not exactly a big upgrade over your current phone. I guess if you are happy with your current provider and plan. Then you may as well go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't want to get locked in to a two year contract for such an old phone.

If this will cause any higher rates. I'd hold off.

Perhaps you may also want to take this opportunity to look at alternative plans. It may be advantageous to get a cheaper prepaid plan (ie no contract). Then buy an iPhone 7 or even an iPhone 8. Once you factor in the difference in monthly fees over two years.

Personally, I switched to the prepaid plan route around a decade ago and buy my phones outright. I've saved quite a bit doing this.

Reactions: na1577

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Also. Forget the android phone entirely IMO

THere are some great android phones, but they almost always lack the longevity of iPhones, as your long running 6s is a testament.
A typical Android phone in that range (free with contract) would probably only get 1 OS update if you're lucky. So the iPhone 7 seems to be better or at least equal in terms of longevity. Plus performance wise, the 7 will mostly wipe whatever SoC on Android in that price range.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hello to to you all. My phone provider (Fido in Canada) has an iPhone 7 32g for 0$. Just pay taxes (43$) With a 2 year plan which I don't mind cause I'm with Fido since 1999 but right now I don't have a 2 year plan. Provider only gives me the service. I have a 6s 64g for which there's no way to know the percentage of the battery. Has been changed 2 years ago and still is at 98% never moves up or dow. Though Phone is perfect for my tiny needs. Fido has also Moto G 7 Play for the same 0$. Not a head banger but curious to know what you think about that.

My only concern will be the 32GB storage. Depending on your usage, that can be really tight, especially if you want to use it for as long as your 6s.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

No I would not. I lived in Canada for many years and my son used Fido. Fido is a decent provider but that deal is garbage. If it was an X or newer I would say yes. But a 7 absolutely not.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
No I would not. I lived in Canada for many years and my son used Fido. Fido is a decent provider but that deal is garbage. If it was an X or newer I would say yes. But a 7 absolutely not.
Well, at 0$ is not what I'd call garbage. I can understand you hate any iPhone that is not an iPhone 12 but the same 7 with the same specs sells for 200$ on add sites like Kijiji in Canada. X or newer are not in the 0$ bracket. XR is 30$/24 months and Se, 25$/24. So it's back to brand new 7 32g or fully functional 6s 64g with no way of knowing the percentage of the battery since it's been changed 2 years ago. Show 98% all the time.

Reactions: ian87w

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Can you save a few bucks and buy an Xr? 7 is just too old to try and get 2 more years of “enjoyable” use out of to me

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Well, at 0$ is not what I'd call garbage. I can understand you hate any iPhone that is not an iPhone 12 but the same 7 with the same specs sells for 200$ on add sites like Kijiji in Canada. X or newer are not in the 0$ bracket. XR is 30$/24 months and Se, 25$/24. So it's back to brand new 7 32g or fully functional 6s 64g with no way of knowing the percentage of the battery since it's been changed 2 years ago. Show 98% all the time.
I don't hate all iPhones. To this day the Jet Black 7 Plus was my all time favorite phone. But that deal for the 7 is not good. The phone is to old and I would not lock myself into a 2 year deal for that phone.

Reactions: Prince Akeem

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
what are the deals on an SE 2nd gen? I'd get that over a 7 easy. The 7 runs like crap on iOS 14 (I know), and the battery doesn't last long. SE is like an hour longer runtime looking at battery wear tests on YouTube.

Reactions: Prince Akeem

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Both of my 7s run iOS 14 just fine. Battery probably doesn’t last because it’s two days older than dirt. The 7 isn’t ultra powerful anymore, but still better than a poke in the eye with a dull stick. And it fits in your pocket nicely.. unlike newer phones. Battery replacement is cheap..

Reactions: JM

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
They only have these discounted (after bill credit) iPhone 7's in "Rose gold". Are you sure you'd want that?

I guess it's old stock with an unpopular color, which they're just trying to get rid off, while at the same time sucking in new customers (since you still have to pay for a plan with a ridiculous minimum of 24 months). Their phone (data) plans appear to be extremely high priced. $68/month for only 16 GB? Are you sure there isn't a provider with more reasonable plan prices? Those prices appear to be at least 3 to 4 times higher compared to prices here in europe! But maybe I'm spoiled with our prices and this normal in Canada...

Even though the iPhone 7 can still be good phone, I wouldn't invest in a new iPhone from a model released more than 4 years ago, with a 24 month plan. If modern low-end ones like SE-2020 are out of budget, I'd rather look into finding a good used one (like an 8), just with a separate plan so you're more flexible in upgrading in the coming 2 years. Or in case of new(er) models maybe look for a good plan subsidised deal.

Reactions: JM

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Besides the bump in processor speed of the 7, the 6S is a better phone.

1. Real mechanical home button you can use with gloves
2. Head phone jack
3. No history of Loop Disease

I have a 7 and I’d never recommend it

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I don't hate all iPhones. To this day the Jet Black 7 Plus was my all time favorite phone. But that deal for the 7 is not good. The phone is to old and I would not lock myself into a 2 year deal for that phone.
I understand. I may be tempted cause I see the 0$...But my needs are so tiny that I'm starting to think I keep the dinosaur 6s or I go for and XR or 11 and f??*(&ck the deal.

Reactions: firedept
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.