Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
First of all, never once has anyone put on a case for a watch before this product, and on watches 1000x more expensive

Second, I have yet to see a case that didn't look hideous

Reactions: Rhcpcjg

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
As a watch collector, I understand what you mean as I've never thought about covering any of my watches when I wear them.

Perhaps because for many this is the most expensive watch that they have ever owned.

Perhaps for some they have never owned a watch before and they are basing it on how they protect their iPhones.

Perhaps it's because of all of the posts we have seen here already with cracked and scratched crystals on various Watches.

Perhaps because almost the entire front surface of the Watch is a giant exposed domed crystal with almost no bezel to speak of unlike most traditional watches.

All I can say is that I don't know for sure... But I must admit that I have ordered an Orzly InvisiCase out of curiosity.

Reactions: Jdgrey52

themikea

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
I have quite a few watches and never considered protecting any of them with a case of any kind. Partly because I have a G-Shock for more rough and rugged activities where I would worry about doing damage to a watch. However, this is the first watch that I actually want to have on in all situations due to its functionality. Because of that, I would consider one of those protective plastic cases and a sports band for more active scenarios.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
First of all, never once has anyone put on a case for a watch before this product, and on watches 1000x more expensive

Second, I have yet to see a case that didn't look hideous

I've never had a watch that needed protecting until now. Every watch I've ever owned has had the glass inset or indented and not flush with the case so it was susceptible to scratching or getting knicked.

To me, the Apple Watch with standard bands are hideous, unrugged and too small. Like my own, it's all one's opinion.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I've never had a watch that needed protecting until now. Every watch I've ever owned has had the glass inset or indented and not flush with the case so it was susceptible to scratching or getting knicked.

To me, the Apple Watch with standard bands are hideous, unrugged and too small. Like my own, it's all one's opinion.

What do bands have to do with this topic?

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Nope. I'll probably end up buying another one in a years time anway. In my experience of using cases with iphones they end up waith scratches anyway. My SS watch should be tough enough on its own.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I originally thought for sure I'd get a case due to my landscaping work. But the watch arrived before any good cases became available and I went to work in the garden and found it is best to have the watch as is. Dirt shakes and grit that might otherwise get trapped in the case shake right off. I also don't hit it or scrape it on hard scape as I feared I might. I did get Apple Care + as a precaution. Oddly enough it's in the kitchen that I'm more prone to smacking the watch around as I reach past cans in the pantry or fish out pots and pans. Even so, I just have micro scratches on the steel that need a magnifying glass to be seen. M

Jdgrey52

macrumors member
May 3, 2015
image.jpg
So I was reading a thread the other day about putting a case on the Apple Watch. I thought a case on the watch? That's silly! But I ran across this case and thought hmmm, not bad.

I bought the SS With black classic buckle strap, which I love, but also ordered a black sports band to change it up when I wanted. But then I saw this case and thought its kind of cool, and yet another way to change it up a bit. I'm starting to like the versatility of this watch?

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen®-Protector-Protective-Gunmetal-Protection/dp/B00UVSOWBY/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1430456347&sr=1-1&keywords=Apple+watch+case

I ordered this case and love it! It's so thin you can't even tell its on and is protecting my
Watch. I ordered the PC hard clear. It snaps on the front and covers the screen and sides. A little extra protection isn't bad for peace of mind for the cost of my watch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XONVVZ8?redirect=true&ref_=ya_st_dp_summary

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Yep, I bought a Spigen thin case. I use my Space Black SS watch for workouts and at wor. My job is physically demanding. It comes off when I go out.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
All my Apple products are in immaculate condition and I don't use a case on any of them. If I get an Apple watch I most certainly won't use a case. Treat it with care and you'll be fine. Sure you may get a little ding or a little scratch but a little ding or scratch isn't near as much of an eyesore as a casing. Covering up aluminum, stainless steel, or gold with plastic or whatever the case may be is just crazy to me. Then again I wouldn't put a cover on my car or put plastic on my couch. Things are meant to be used and enjoyed.

Reactions: GeekishlyGreek

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I am a regular watch wearer, so no Apple Watch case for me. I sort of understand the desire for a case if you are not a regular watch user as you are more likely to hit your watch on things as you walk past them or do things with your hand as you are less aware that you have a watch which may need protection.

Having said that though, I would consider a case temporarily if I was doing something extreme or situations where I might need more protection (such as doing garden work, household repairs etc). This is mainly because the face of the Apple Watch is more exposed compared to a traditional watch (where the watch face is usually protected by the bezel). I would also only consider a snap on/snap off case. But for day to day wear it's a no.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Yeah. I kept picturing how bummed my husband would be if it happened and could've been prevented by slapping a case on it while biking. So, I had the eldest pick him up a case. :)

Haven't got and kids myself, ha I am barely out of being considered one myself! But good of him to get that, more helpful than I was! In all seriousness I will probably wear long sleeves since this revelation, because the most petite of micro scratches would set me off...

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Haven't got and kids myself, ha I am barely out of being considered one myself! But good of him to get that, more helpful than I was! In all seriousness I will probably wear long sleeves since this revelation, because the most petite of micro scratches would set me off...

It's tricky because most MTB rides would never be an issue, but just that ONE time you graze a tree trunk or (worse) fall and connect with roots or rocks and the watch looks horrible. My husband was already switching from the link to his BSB for rides, but I thought back to the handful or so of times when he's taken a bigger spill and figured best play it safe.

I generally find those cases kinda ugly, though. We got him a Speck one in black/gray. It's about as attractive as they get. I've considered starting to ride again (my bike is in bad shape and I really need a new one) and I'd definitely get one if I do. Even for regular, paved trail rides. Pavement and an Apple Watch would not play well together. Ugh.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
It's tricky because most MTB rides would never be an issue, but just that ONE time you graze a tree trunk or (worse) fall and connect with roots or rocks and the watch looks horrible. My husband was already switching from the link to his BSB for rides, but I thought back to the handful or so of times when he's taken a bigger spill and figured best play it safe.

I generally find those cases kinda ugly, though. We got him a Speck one in black/gray. It's about as attractive as they get. I've considered starting to ride again (my bike is in bad shape and I really need a new one) and I'd definitely get one if I do. Even for regular, paved trail rides. Pavement and an Apple Watch would not play well together. Ugh.

Indeed! I use my Milanese loop for everything. But if my local store gets the sport bands I will pick up a white one. But not in a hurry so I will wait. It is a good idea! And the same goes with regards to the case. Just don't like the appearance. I dread to think what would happen to the Space Black SS or Aluminium BSB version...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.